What is the population of Rice County?
10,083 (2010 Census)
Where do I register to vote?
The Rice County Clerk’s Office at 101 W Commercial, Lyons, KS 67554
Voter Registration Form
Who takes care of the small county cemeteries?
Call the Rice County Clerk’s office for the answer. They are handled by different people.
How do I get a marriage license?
Contact the District Court, 3rd floor of the Rice County Courthouse, 620-257-2383
How do I get a copy of a birth certificate?
Kansas birth certificates are available at the Department of Vital Statistics office in Topeka, 785-296-1400
How do I register a boat?
The Clerk’s office issues new boat registrations and renewals from an on-line site. For more information, contact the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks, 620-683-8069, or visit their website www.kdwp.state.ks.us
How do I get a hunting or fishing license?
Anyone over 16 years of age needs to obtain a Kansas hunting or fishing license, available through the Rice County Clerk’s office. Kansans over 65 can obtain a seniors’ hunting and fishing license, as well as a senior park permit, from the County Clerk. Kansas Fishing and Kansas Hunting & Fur Harvesting Regulations are available at the County Clerk’s office and also at the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks www.kdwp.state.ks.us
I just started a new business, what do I need to do?
There may be special permits or licenses necessary for your business. In general, all businesses should check the zoning in their area. Outside of the incorporated cities, you should contact Levi Beaver with Planning & Zoning for this information, 620-257-5331
In addition, it is important to file a personal property rendition with the County Appraiser’s office for all business-related property. Sales tax questions should be directed to the Kansas Department of Revenue, 785-337-6140
How do I file for a Homestead and Food Sales Tax Refund?
The Homestead Tax is filed by the Clerk’s office on-line. The Clerk’s office does not handle the Food Sales Tax form. Qualifications can change from year to year.

District Court

How do I file a small claims petition?

Information and petitions for small claims filings may be found in the Rice County District Court Clerk’s office. Docket fees for claims under $500 are $47.50; claims from $500.01 - $4000 are $67.50. It is your responsibility to furnish the addresses of individuals being summoned to court.
If you have a complex case, or one that involves a claim over $4000, you may wish to consult an attorney regarding other forms of legal action.

How can I inquire about my child support?

Pursuant to federal law, the State of Kansas has implemented a central payment system for processing of court ordered child support and maintenance. Child support and maintenance payments should be made payable to “KANSAS PAYMENT CENTER” and mailed to the following address:
P.O. BOX 758599
Topeka, Kansas 66675-8599

Please put your case number on your remittance with the county two-letter digit (RC) for Rice county to ensure proper credit. If you have questions or would like information regarding payments through electronic funds transactions (EFT), please contact KPC customer service, 1-877-572-5722, or visit their website http://www.kspaycenter.com/. Please notify the court in writing of any address change or name change.

How do I obtain a marriage license?
To obtain a Kansas Marriage License for individuals who are 18 years of age or older, either party (bride or groom) must appear in the District Court Clerk’s office to apply. On the application you will need to know the following information for both parties: 1) Full name (first, middle, and last); 2) date of birth; 3) either a social security number or driver’s license number. Applying for a marriage license begins a three-day waiting period. At the end of the three days, or anytime thereafter up to one year, you may return to pick up your license. At the time you pick up your license there is an $85.50 fee. The license is issued, and you may have your ceremony performed anywhere within the state of Kansas, for a period of six months.
How do I obtain a copy of my marriage license?
You may request copies by mail. You must inform the court of the bride’s maiden name and the groom’s name, enclose a self-addressed stamped envelope along with enough money to cover the number of copies requested. Mail requests, plus $1.00 for each request to the Rice County District Court, 101 W. Commercial, Lyons, KS 67554
How do I obtain a protection from abuse order?

1. Before you can obtain a Protection from Abuse Order, you must be “an intimate partner or household member” of the alleged abuser; you and the other person you want restrained must be living together, have lived together in the past, or have had a child in common.
If you are seeking protection of a minor child(ren), the child(ren) and the person you want restrained must be living together, have lived together in the past or have had a child in common. Abuse must have occurred. This means that one of the following has occurred:

a. You are in a dating relationship (a social relationship of a romantic nature);
b. You have been in a dating relationship in the past;
c. You are living together;
d. You have lived together in the past; or
e. You have had a child in common

OR, if you are seeking protection of minor child(ren), the child(ren) and the person you want restrained must be intimate partners or household members. This means the child(ren) and the person you want restrained must meet one of the above requirements.

2. Abuse must have occurred. This means that one of the following has occurred:

a. The person physically hurt you or minor child(ren) on purpose. The person tried to physically hurt you or minor child(ren).
b. The person recently threatened to physically hurt you or minor child(ren).
c. The person engaged in sexual conduct (touching or sexual intercourse) with minor child(ren) 16 years of age.

You may file only two petitions for a Protection from Abuse Order in one calendar year, unless you are filing the petition on behalf of a minor child who has been abused. You must be available to testify at future hearings as set by the judge or in any other criminal action against the abuser. If you fail to appear the case may be dismissed. Other legal help may be available through your private attorney or legal services.

What juvenile offender files are open?
Generally, for cases after July 1, 1997, “official file” documents within juvenile court files are open unless ordered closed by a judge. However, certain juvenile court file reports and documents contain social history and other sensitive information. These “social file” documents are filed separately and are confidential.
Can I ask for a court file and browse through it while I'm in the court office?
If the information in the file is open, you will be allowed to request the file and look at it, but you will not be allowed to remove the file from the office.
Once I've reviewed the file and determined which pages I would like to have copied, what do I do?
You may request copies of certain pages, and you will be charged the local copy charge per page.
Can I call or e-mail in a records request to the court?
In most instances, the court will respond to your call or e-mail by asking you for an address or fax number where the request form can be sent to you. When you fill out the request form, the court is able to get the complete and specific information needed to respond to your request.
If I go to the court in person, can the court immediately provide me with the record I am requesting?
In most instances, the court will ask you to fill out a record request form. Depending upon staffing and the press of other business in the office, as well as the accessibility of the record you have requested, the court may or may not be able to respond immediately. If your request cannot be processed immediately, the person responding to your request will make arrangements to notify you when the request is processed.

For further information about the Kansas Open Records Act and the Kansas Courts, visit our website at: www.kscourts.org
The records custodian(s) at this court location is District Court’s address: 101 W Commercial, Lyons, KS 67554

Emergency Communications

What is 9-1-1?
9-1-1 is the number most people in the U.S. and some international countries call to get help in a police, fire, or medical emergency. In some places, you may be able to be connected with Poison Control by calling 9-1-1, but you should check with local officials in your area to make sure. A 9-1-1 call goes over dedicated networks to the appropriate 9-1-1 answering point (PSAP) for the caller’s location, and trained personnel then send the emergency help needed.
What is Enhanced 9-1-1?
Enhanced 9-1-1 or E9-1-1 is a system that routes an emergency call to the appropriate 9-1-1 answer point (PSAP) for the caller’s location, and automatically displays the caller’s phone number and address. The 9-1-1 call taker will typically ask the caller to verify the information, which appears on their computer screen. In most areas, phone number and location information is available for 9-1-1 calls made from a cellular/wireless phone.
When should you used 9-1-1?

9-1-1 is only to be used in emergency situations. An emergency is any situation that requires immediate assistance from law enforcement, the fire department, or an ambulance. If you are ever in doubt whether a situation is an emergency, call 9-1-1. It’s better to be safe and let the 9-1-1 call taker determine if you need emergency assistance.

Do NOT call 9-1-1:

  •  For information
  •  For directory assistance
  •  When you’re bored and just want to talk
  •  For paying traffic tickets
  •  For your pet
  •  As a prank

If you call 9-1-1 by mistake, DO NOT HANG UP. Tell the call taker what happened so they know there really isn’t an emergency.

Why does 9-1-1 staff ask so many questions? Don't they already know where I am when I dial 9-1-1?

Verification of information is critical to ensure that the right resources are sent in the right manner to the correct location of an emergency. We understand that asking specific, often scripted questions may take longer, but very often emergency units have already been dispatched.
The Emergency Services Dispatcher may continue questioning the caller to obtain additional details about the victim, patient, or suspect. This additional information may change the response, provided a situation assessment, or provide scene safety update for the public safety responders. Depending on the call type, pre-arrival instructions may also be given to help the caller help themselves or other before emergency responders get to the scene.

I read where some cities were working on ways to send text messages to 9-1-1. Can I send a text message or the pictures/video I capture on my cell phone to 9-1-1?
While this is something planned for future 9-1-1 systems, the reality is that 9-1-1 centers nationally cannot receive pictures or videos over the current 9-1-1 infrastructure. Rice County does accept SMS text messages to 9-1-1.
I am considering getting rid of my home phone and only keep a cell phone. Should I do this? What happens if I dial 9-1-1 from my cell phone inside my house?

One of our many roles is to keep abreast of the changing and challenging technology trends in the telecommunications industry. Rice County 9-1-1 Emergency Communications cannot officially support a specific technology (wireline, wireless, VOIP, etc.). Many people are only using cell phones today, and depending on your needs, you may or may not want to consider this option. One thing to keep in mind is the quality of the cell phone coverage in your home. Does your cell phone work in every room?
Also, do you have enough cell phones so that if you’re not home and there is a family emergency, there is a phone to call 9-1-1? Rice County 9-1-1 Emergency Communications is equipped to locate newer cell phones but older analog phone are difficult to track. Cell phone location accuracy is improving every year; however, the location may be within a 50-100 meter radius. Therefore, if you are in an apartment building or a multi-story building, 9-1-1 may not get the exact location.

What about 9-1-1 prank calls?
It’s a prank call when someone calls 9-1-1 for a joke or calls 9-1-1 and hangs up. Prank calls not only waste time and money, but can also be dangerous. If 9-1-1 lines or call takers are busy with prank calls, someone with a real emergency may not be able to get the help they need. In most places, it’s against the law to make prank 9-1-1 calls.
What if a 9-1-1 caller is deaf or hearing/speech impaired?

Communications centers that answer 9-1-1 calls have special text telephones for responding to 9-1-1 calls from deaf or hearing/speech impaired callers.
If a caller uses a TTY/TDD, the caller should:

  •  Stay calm, place the phone receiver in the TTY, dial 9-1-1
  •  After the call is answered, press the TTY keys several times. This may help shorten the time necessary to respond to the call.
  •  Give the call taker time to connect their TTY. If necessary, press the TTY keys again. The 9-1-1 call taker should answer and type “GA” for Go Ahead.
  •  Tell what is needed – police, fire department, or ambulance. Give your name, phone number and the address where help is needed.
  •  Stay on the telephone if it is safe. Answer the call taker’s questions.

If a deaf or hearing/speech impaired caller does not have a TTY/TDD, they should call 9-1-1 and not hang up. This leaves the line open. With most 9-1-1 calls, the caller’s address with then be displayed on the call taker’s screen and help will be sent.

Can my group (club) tour the 9-1-1 center?
Yes! We welcome you to visit or tour the Rice County 9-1-1 Emergency Communications Center. In addition, with enough advance notice, we can typically attend community meetings or public relations events if requested.


How much will it cost to register my vehicle?

Title Fees $10.00
Transfer Fees $10.50
Autos less than 4500 lbs. $39.00
Autos over 4500 lbs. $49.00
12M Trucks $49.00
Motorcycles $25.00
Motorbikes $20.00
2000-8000 $34.00
8001-12000 $44.00
12001 and over $54.00

a). If the weight of the trailer and the load combined is less than 2,000 pounds, registration is optional. If a farm trailer hauling the farmer’s own product has a load of less than 6,000 pounds, registration is optional. For fees on trucks with gross weight of over 16,000 pounds, call the County Treasurer’s office, 620-257-2852.
b). Property tax is paid at the time of registration/title application and is determined in the County Treasurer’s office. The exceptions are heavy trucks, trailers, and mopeds, whose taxes are determined by the County Appraiser’s office.
c). Reflectorized plate fee is $0.50.
d). Sales tax will be collected in the tag office if the vehicle is bought from an individual or purchased out of state. The sales tax rate is collected plus a $0.50 collection fee. If the sales tax rate is higher where you live than where you purchased, you will pay the difference at the County Treasurer’s office.
e). The fee to transfer a tag is $20.50 plus the difference in the property tax.

What do I need to know about transferring a tag from one vehicle to another?
The fee to transfer is $20.50 plus the difference in the property tax. The names on the two titles must be the same. If the old tag is expired, it can only be transferred if it is a personalized tag. If this is your renewal month, your fees will be the same as a new tag minus the $0.50 plate fee. The old vehicle must be sold or traded in, even if it is not running. As long as the title is still in your name, the plate must stay with it.
I'm moving to Kansas from another state; how do I register my vehicle?

If you have the title, you need to bring in the title, the vehicle inspection, and the proof of insurance. The person who is named on the title is the only person who can register the vehicle. If two names appear on the title with and/or between the names, both persons must come in. All vehicles coming from out of state must have a VIN inspection from the Lyons Police Department. The city of Lyons Police Department charges a $20.00 fee (CASH ONLY) for VIN inspections.

If you do not have the title because the lienholder of that state keeps it until the vehicle is paid for, you will need to contact the Rice County Treasurer’s office for instructions.

What paper will I need to title a newly-purchased vehicle?
You will need the title or MSO (if it’s a new car), signed over to you, the sales tax receipt or bill of sale, car’s current mileage, and your proof of insurance. When transferring a tag between two cars, you need the current registration or tag number of the old car and the name and address of the person to whom the vehicle was sold.
What are your office hours?
The office is open between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., including lunch hour, Monday through Friday. The office stops doing vehicle business at 4:30 p.m. to run reports and balance the day’s business.
Where are you located?
The tag office is located on the 2nd floor of the Rice County Courthouse, 101 W. Commercial, Lyons, KS.
How can I renew my tags if I didn't get a renewal notice in the mail?
Take your registration or tag number and proof of insurance to the Rice County Treasurer’s office and they will be able to process your renewal.
How can I get a refund, and what forms will I need?
Bring in your tag, current owner’s registration, Social Security number (for personal vehicle) or Federal ID# (for business or lease vehicles), and name and address of the person to whom the vehicle was sold. Refunds are calculated from the month they are received.
Where can I get a power of attorney/lienholder consent/bill of sale, etc.?
These tag forms and many others are available on the Kansas Department of Revenue’s web page. This is a free download. https://www.ksrevenue.org/dovforms.html
What do I need to do if my license plate is lost/stolen?
You will need to report the plate stolen to your local law enforcement agency (Sheriff’s Office or Police Dept). Bring the tag number, proof of insurance, and police report to the County Treasurer and we will replace the tag for $3.00.
How do I get a personalized tag?
The price for personalized tags is $46.00, in addition to other fees and personal property taxes. You will also need to fill out a personalized tag form.
What will happen if I have delinquent taxes?
If you have delinquent personal property taxes in ANY county in Kansas, they MUST be paid before vehicles can be tagged.
How can I pay for my tags?
Acceptable forms of payment are cash, check, money order, and cashier’s check. Credit Cards can be accepted through a third party on the internet, KanPay. They charge a convenience fee of about 2.5%.
Where can I go to renew my handicapped placard? Where do I mail it?
This is done at the Rice County Treasurer’s office, 2nd floor of the Rice County Courthouse 101 W. Commercial, Lyons, KS
Do my tags expire on the first day or the last day of the month?
Auto, truck, and motorcycle tags expire on the last day of each month, except for heavy trucks (12,000 lbs.) and trailers, which expire December 31st with a grace period until February 28th.
Why aren't my tags good for a full year?
Tag renewals are good for a full year. Tags for vehicles bough new within the year will be good for the period between the purchase date and the expiration date; in some cases, this will be for just a partial year. Tags are prorated from the month the title is notarized until the month your tag comes due, which is determined by your last name. See Tag Schedule
I am a military dependent. Shouldn't I be exempted from property taxes?
No. Only the active duty military member is exempt.
Can I get an extension on my sixty-day permit?
No. There are no extensions.
My doctor says I'm permanently handicapped. Why do I have to re-certify for handicap privileges?
Law requires re-certification every three years for verification of status of the handicapped individual.
Why do I pay taxes on my leased vehicle when I'm in the military?
The leased vehicle is in the leasing company name; therefore, they are the legal owner of the vehicle and not exempt.
I am in the military but a Kansas resident. Do I pay taxes on my vehicle?

Exemption for two vehicles only!

a). Stationed outside of Kansas and the motor vehicles are maintained outside of the state:
b). deployed (absent from such service members’ usual duty station due to military orders) regardless of where the service member is station and regardless of where the motor vehicles are maintained

a). mobilized (in receipt of orders to report for active duty at a certain date) regardless of where the motor vehicles are maintained:
b). deployed (absent from such service members’ usual duty station due to military orders) regardless of where the motor vehicles are maintained.

Note: The recreational vehicle (RV) exemption provided by K.S.79-5121(e) for resident military personnel remains unchanged. To qualify for the RV exemption, the resident must be absent from Kansas due to military orders and the RV must be maintained outside the state at the time of such individual’s application for registration.

I own businesses in several counties in Kansas. Where do I register my vehicle?
The vehicle should be registered in the county where the main business is located.
I am active duty military, but the vehicle is in my spouse's name. Do I have to pay taxes of the vehicle?
Yes. The service member must be included on the title in order to be exempt.
Do I have to get a Kansas driver's license if I have Kansas plates?
Do I have to register my vehicle if I am going to sell it?
Yes. You first must acquire a title in your name before it can be sold to another individual or business.