Frequently Asked Motor Vehicle Questions

Motor Vehicle FAQ

How much will it cost to register my vehicle?

Title Fees $10.00
Transfer Fees $10.50

Autos less than 4500 lbs. $39.00
Autos over 4500 lbs. $49.00
12M Trucks $49.00
Motorcycles $25.00
Motorbikes $20.00

2000 – 8000 $34.00
8001 – 1200 $44.00
12001 and over $54.00

If the weight of the trailer and the load combined is less than 2,000 pounds, registration is optional. If a farm trailer hauling the farmer’s own product has a load of less than 6,000 pounds, registration is optional. For fees on trucks with gross weight of over 16,000 pounds, call the County Treasurer’s Office.

b. Property tax is paid at the time of registration/title application and is determined in the County Treasurer’s Office. The exceptions are heavy trucks, trailers, and mopeds, whose taxes are determined by the County Appraiser’s Office.

c. Reflectorized plate fee is $0.50.

d. Sales tax will be collected in the tag office if the vehicle is bought from an individual or purchased out of state. The sales tax rate is collected plus a $0.50 collection fee. If the sales tax rate is higher where you live than purchased you will pay the difference at the County Treasurer’s Office.

e. The fee to transfer a tag is $20.50 plus the difference in the property tax.

What do I need to know about transferring a tag from one vehicle to another?

The fee to transfer is $20.50 plus the difference in the property tax. The names on the two titles must be the same. If the old tag is expired, it can only be transferred if it is a personalized tag. If this is your renewal month, your fees will be the same as a new tag minus the $0.50 plate fee. The old vehicle must be sold or traded in, even if it is not running. As long as the title is still in your name, the plate must stay with it.

I'm moving to Kansas from another state; how do I register my vehicle?

If you have the title, you need to bring in the title, the vehicle inspection, and the proof of insurance. The person who is named on the title is the only person who can register the vehicle. If two names appear on the title with and/or between the names, only one person has to come in. If two names are on the title with and between them, both persons must come in. All vehicles coming from out of state must have a VIN inspection from the Lyons Police Department Office. The City of Lyons Police Department charges a $20.00 fee (paid in cash) for VIN inspections.

If you do not have the title because the lienholder of that state keeps it until the vehicle is paid for, you will need to contact the Rice County Treasurer’s Office for instructions.

What papers will I need to title a newly-purchased vehicle?

You will need the title or MSO (if it’s a new car), signed over to you, the sales tax receipt or bill of sale, the car’s current mileage, and your proof of insurance. When transferring a tag between two cars, you need the current registration or tag number of the old car and the name and address of the person to whom the vehicle was sold.

What are your office hours?

The Office is open between 8 a.m. and 4:45 p.m., including lunch hour, Monday through Friday. The office stops doing vehicle business at 4:00 p.m. in order to run reports and balance the day’s business.

Where are you located?

The Tag Office is located at the Rice County Courthouse at 101 West Commercial, Lyons.

How can I renew my tags if I didn't get a renewal notice in the mail?

Take your registration or tag number and proof of insurance to the Rice County Treasurer’s Office, and they will be able to process your renewal.

How can I get a refund, and what forms will I need?

Bring in your tag, current owner’s registration, Social Security number (for a personal vehicle) or Federal ID# (for business or lease vehicles), and name and address of the person to whom the vehicle was sold. Refunds are calculated from the month they are received.

Where can I get a power of attorney / lienholder consent / bill of sale, etc.?

These tag forms and many others are available on the State Treasurer’s Web Page. You will need to download Adobe Acrobat Reader to view and/or print these forms. This is a free download, and the site can be accessed from the Vehicle Tag Forms.

What do I need to do if my license plate is lost/stolen?

You will need to report the plate stolen to the Sheriff’s Office. Bring the tag number, proof of insurance, and police report to County Treasurer and we will replace the tag for $3.00.

How do I get a personalized tag?

The price for personalized tags is $46.00, in addition to other fees and personal property taxes. You will also need to fill out a Personalized Tag Form.

What will happen if I have delinquent taxes?

If you have delinquent personal property taxes in ANY county in Kansas, they MUST be paid before vehicles can be tagged.

How can I pay for my tags?

Acceptable forms of payment are cash, check, money order, and cashier’s check. Credit Cards can be accepted through a third party on the internet. KanPay. They charge a convenience fee of about 2.5%.

Where can I go to renew my handicapped placard? Where do I mail it?

This is done at the Rice County Treasurer’s Office in the County Courthouse.

Do my tags expire on the first day or the last day of the month?

Auto, truck, and motorcycle tags expire on the last day of each month, with the exception of heavy trucks (over 12,000 lbs.) and trailers, which expire Dec. 31 with a grace period until Feb. 28.

Why aren't my tags good for a full year?

Tag renewals are good for a full year. Tags for vehicles bought new within the year will be good for the period between the purchase date and the expiration date; in some cases this will be for just a partial year. Tags are prorated from the month the title is notarized until the month your tag comes due, which is determined by your last name. See the Tag Schedule table above.

I am a military dependent. Shouldn't I be exempted from property taxes? 

No. Only the active duty military member is exempt.

Can I get an extension on my sixty-day permit?

No. There are no extensions.

My doctor says I'm permanently handicapped. Why do I have to re-certify for handicap privileges?

Law requires re-certification every three years for verification of status of the handicapped individual.

Why do I pay taxes on my leased vehicle when I'm in the military?

The leased vehicle is in the leasing company name; therefore, they are the legal owner of the vehicle and not exempt.

I am in the military but a Kansas resident. Do I pay taxes on my vehicle?

Exemption for two vehicles only!

  1. stationed outside of Kansas and the motor vehicles are maintained outside of the state: or
  2. deployed (absent from such service members’ usual duty station due to military orders) regardless of where the service member is stationed and regardless of where the motor vehicles are maintained.
  1. mobilized (in receipt of orders to report for active duty at a date certain) regardless of where the motor vehicles are maintained: or
  2. deployed (absent from such service members’ usual duty station due to military orders) regardless of where the motor vehicles are maintained.

Note: The recreational vehicle (RV) exemption provided by K.S.79-5121 (e) for resident military personnel remains unchanged. To qualify for the RV exemption, the resident must be absent from Kansas due to military orders and the RV must be maintained outside the state at the time of such individual’s application for registration.


I own businesses in several counties in Kansas. Where do I register my vehicle?

The vehicle should be registered in the county where the main business is located.

I am active duty military, but the vehicle is in my wife's name. Do I have to pay taxes of the vehicle. 

Yes. The service member must be included on the title in order to be exempt.

Do I have to get a Kansas driver's license if I have Kansas plates?


Do I have to register my vehicle if I am going to sell it?

Yes. You first have to acquire a title in your name before it can be sold to another individual or business.