Frequently Asked Questions

If your question is not below, please feel free to contact the Rice County Clerk’s office at 620.257.2232 or submit your question here.


What is the population of Rice County? 

10,083 (2010 Census)

Where do I register to vote?

The Rice County Clerk’s office at 101 West Commercial, Lyons.

Who takes care of the small county cemeteries?
Call the Rice County Clerk’s office for the answer. They are all handled by different people.
How do I get a marriage license?

Your need to talk to the Clerk of the District Court, 3rd floor of the Rice County Courthouse, phone: 620.257.2383. This is not a function of the Rice County Clerk’s Office.

How do I get a copy of a birth certificate?

Kansas birth certificates are available at the Department of Vital Statistics Office at 785.296.1400, in Topeka.

How do I register a Boat?

The Clerk’s Office issues new boat registrations and renewals from an on-line site. For more information, contact the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks at 620.683.8069 or visit their website at

How do I get a hunting or fishing license?

Anyone over 16 years of age needs to obtain a Kansas hunting or fishing license, available through the Rice County Clerk’s Office. Kansans over 65 can obtain a Seniors’ hunting and fishing license, as well as a Senior park permit, from the County Clerk. Kansas Fishing and Kansas Hunting & Fur Harvesting Regulations are available at the County Clerk’s Office and also at the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks website.

I just started a new business, what do I need to do?

There may be special permits or licenses necessary for your business. In general, all businesses should check the zoning in their area. Outside of the incorporated cities, you should contact Levi Beaver, Planning and Zoning for this information. In addition, it is important to file a personal property rendition with the County Appraiser’s Office for all business related property. Sales tax questions should be directed to the Kansas Department of Revenue at 785.337.6140.

How do I file for a Homestead and Food Sales Tax Refund?

The Homestead Tax is filed by the Clerk’s office on-line. The Clerk’s Office does not handle the Food Sales Tax form. Qualifications can change from year to year.