These minutes are unofficial until reviewed and approved by the Board of County Commissioner as official.
September 30, 2019
All Commissioners Present
Commissioner Wilson Presiding
1. Commissioner Wilson call the meeting to order at 8:00 a.m. in the Commissioners Room at the Courthouse.
2. Commissioner McCloud moved to approve the agenda with the addition of Ed Feil at 11:30 and the minutes of the September 23rd session as prepared. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wiens.
3. There were no public comments.
4. Commissioners reviewed and approved month-end vouchers.
5. Commissioners conducted a discussion session and discussed various topics including repairs to the lobby of the courthouse, water heater replacement, and chemicals at the Noxious Weed Department.
6. County Clerk Alicia Showalter presented some information to the Commissioners regarding the heater in the sally port of the Law Enforcement Center. Commissioners requested bids for the heater and Alicia will let the sheriff know to submit the bids.
7. Public Works Administrator Tom Robl appeared to present updates to the Commissioners. He discussed the Airport Layout Plan and the grant process. Commissioner Wiens moved to approve the Request for Qualifications for Engineers for the Airport Layout Plan. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner McCloud. Lyons City Administrator Chad Buckley was present for the discussion. Tom discussed qualifications of the Noxious Weed department employees. Tom reported that the department has begun sealing roads this morning, purchase a new forklift that will be shared with the Public Works and the Noxious Weed departments, equipment status, and staffing.
8. Economic Development Director Stacy Clark appeared. Commissioner McCloud moved to enter into executive session from 10:16 to 10:30 for a non-elected personnel performance appraisal and will return to the Commissioners Room at the Courthouse at 10:30. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wiens. Stacy Clark was present for the session.
Commissioners returned to open session at 10:30 in the Commissioners Room at the Courthouse.
9. Treasurer Rita Smith and Barton County Treasurer Jim Jordan appeared to present tax abatements for approval. Commissioner McCloud moved to approve the tax abatements presented. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wiens.
10. Detention Supervisor Tim Weaver appeared to present updates to the Commissioners. The current employee that does the maintenance on the doors is transferring to another department and presented a contract for the continued maintenance of the doors. Further information will be obtained and a decision in the near future. Tim discussed two other staffing issues and was given permission to proceed with those staffing changes.
11. Rural Fire Chief Ed Feil and Assistant Brad Reid appeared to present updates to the Commissioners. Ed reported that the new rescue truck should be ready in 30 days, repairs to a fire truck in the amount of approximately $1,800.00, radios will be distributed soon, and an invoice will be coming through for 2 new smoke machines.
12. County Clerk Alicia Showalter presented updates to the Commissioners. She presented two forms for the donation of leave for approval. Alicia presented a quote for the replacement of three computers in the Clerk’s office. Commissioner Wiens moved to approve the quote for 3 new computers and installation for an amount of $3,875.72. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner McCloud. Commissioners determined voting delegates for the annual KWORCC and KCAMP meetings. Alicia will complete the necessary forms and submit them to the appropriate organization.
13. Commissioners discussed the process for the Kansas Department of Agriculture chemical audit at the Noxious Weed department and notice to any violators.
14. Commissioner Wilson adjourned the meeting.