These minutes are unofficial until reviewed and approved by the Board of County Commissioner as official.
October 7, 2019
All Commissioners Present
Commissioner Wilson Presiding
1. Commissioner Wilson called the meeting to order at 9:00 a.m. in the Commissioners Room at the Courthouse.
2. Commissioner Wiens moved to approve the agenda with the addition of Executive Session to review Work Comp Claims, and the minutes of the September 25th session as prepared. The motion carried following a second by Commissioner McCloud.
3. No public comments.
4. Deputy Clerk Aurelia Garcia presented a request on behalf of Ida Wilson for the use of the North side of the Courthouse lawn for the Saint Paul’s Catholic Church Rosary Event. Commissioner McCloud moved to allow the use of the Courthouse lawn for the Saint Paul’s Catholic Church Rosary Event from 11:30 – 12:30 on Saturday, October 12, 2019. The motion carried with a second by Commissioner Wilson.
5. Public Works Administrator Tom Robl appeared to present updates to the Commissioners. Tom informed the Commissioners that they have started sealing of roads. Tom discussed and presented quotes for a forklift and mower. Commissioner McCloud moved to approve the purchase of a 2015 Hyster forklift from Berry Material Handling not to exceed $19,000 with the cost to be split 50% from the Road & Bridge budget and 50% from the Weed Department budget. The motion carried unanimously with a second by Commissioner Wiens.
Commissioner McCloud suggested that the purchase of the forklift and mower be combined and rebid to see if a better price could be negotiated.
6. Rice County Appraiser Gayla Godfrey appeared to present quarterly updates. AG mailers were sent out with approximately a 60% return and that her department has met all statistical compliance.
Gayla informed the Commissioners that the Kansas Board of Tax Appeals found in favor of the county’s appraisal and that Kansas Ethanol is appealing the decision which means that the process will start over.
7. Rice County Extension Director Wendy Hughes appeared with Branden and Kami Grasser of Little River and Derek and Easton Krone of Sterling representing two of the County’s 4-H programs. Commissioner Wiens moved to proclaim October 6th – 12th to be 4-H Week in Rice County. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner McCloud.
8. Rice County Sheriff Bryant Evans and Jail Captain Tim Weaver appeared to discuss the need for a voice recorder on their phone lines. Sheriff Evans discussed issues regarding lack of administrative control since switching to Gilmore Solutions from Huber & Associates.
9. Health Administrator Marci Detmer appeared to discuss updates. Commissioners approved the purchase of a laptop. The need to hire someone to cut the grass around the Health Department was mentioned. Commissioners advised Marci to contact Tom Robl regarding the mowing. Marci discussed obtaining estimates for flooring replacement in the Health Department work area.
Marci mentioned that it would be nice for the commissioners to acknowledge the positive emails/letters rather than just address the negative. She reported that she is experiencing much difficulty in hiring a part time nurse due to insurance benefits not being offered. Commissioners suggested she try to hire someone on an as needed bases to assist with immunization clinics.
Marci requested that the Commissioners reconsider the earned leave policy for salaried employees stating that the policy doesn’t seem fair.
Marci asked for an explanation for the criteria on how salaries are decided, as she feels that there are discrepancies in how she was hired versus other department heads and stated that if she were being paid based on schooling and years of experience that the county would potentially owe her $100,000 for the past 12 years. Marci voiced that she feels there are two standards depending on age/sex etc.
County Counselor Scott Bush stated that if Marci was indicating that she has been discriminated against that she needed to make the complaint in writing.
10. Commissioners heard a complaint from Lyons Police Chief Justin Holliday that one of his officers picked up a suicidal person that they wanted to take to a secure facility, but the Sheriff denied use of the detention center due to his protocol. City Administrator Chad Buckley, Sheriff Bryant Evans and Jail Captain Tim Weaver were present.
Commissioners suggested they get together with the Medical Director Kristina Darnauer to establish policies that would avoid a problem in the future.
11. Commissioner McCloud moved to enter into Executive Session from 12:50 to12:55 for review of work comp claims and will return to the Commissioners room in the Courthouse at 12:55. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wiens. Deputy Clerk Aurelia Garcia was present.
Commissioners agreed to meet on Friday, October 11, 2019 at 10am to review mid-month vouchers.
There will not be a Commission meeting on October 14, 2019 due to the Columbus Day holiday.
Commissioner Wilson adjourned the meeting.