These minutes are unofficial until reviewed and approved by the Board of County Commissioner as official.
August 26, 2019
All Commissioners Present
Commissioner Wilson Presiding
1. Commissioner Wilson called the meeting to order at 9:00 a.m. in the Commissioners Room at the Courthouse.
2. Commissioner Wiens moved to approve the agenda with the deletion of Josh Michaelis at 10:00 a.m. and adding Greg Klein at 10:00. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wilson. Commissioner Wiens moved to approve the minutes of the August 19th session as prepared. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wilson.
3. Rita Smith, Treasurer elect, appeared to discuss the salary for the Treasurer’s position. Commissioners will leave the salary the same as has been set.
4. Public Works Administrator Tom Robl appeared to present updates. He presented a document for the signing project for the southeast part of Rice County. This is a High Risk Rural Road grant through the Kansas Department of Transportation.
5. Pam Guldner with the Public Health Department appeared to present updates to the Commissioners. She reported on immunizations and presented a request for a new hire. Commissioners will discuss the new hire and make a decision in near future.
6. EMS/EM Director Greg Klein appeared to present updates to the Commissioners. He presented information on a new cot for one of the ambulances. Greg informed the Commissioners that he has received a grant from KWORCC in the amount of $6,146.05. He presented a quote from Stryker for a new cot. Commissioner Wiens moved to approve the purchase of Stryker cot in the amount of $19,353.36 with a reimbursement of grant funds in the amount of $6,146.05. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner McCloud.
7. Noxious Weed Director Levi Beaver appeared. Commissioner Wiens moved to enter into executive session from 10:40 to 10:55 for a non-elected personnel performance appraisal to return at 10:40 in the Commissioners Room at the Courthouse. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner McCloud. Noxious Weed Director Levi Beaver was present for the session.
Commissioners returned to open session at 10:40 in the Commissioners Room at the Courthouse.
8. County Clerk Alicia Showalter reported on the possible estimated renewal of the health insurance for Rice County employees. She updated the Commissioners on the installation of the security cameras and door locks for the Courthouse. Alicia presented the invoice from FE Moran for the fire alarm system. Commissioners indicated the invoice not be paid until the project is complete. She presented a request for a Solid Waste abatement. Commissioners reviewed the documents and refused the request. Alicia will follow up with a letter.
9. Rural Fire Chief Ed Feil appeared to present updates to the Commissioners. He reported that the Smoke Machine has broken and they need to get it replaced. Commissioner gave him permission to make the purchase. Ed reported that the excess items that have been stored in the basement of the EMS/Health office have been moved due to the remodeling. He asked permission to purchase a conex box to store the items. Commissioners presented additional options. Ed will research the options and report back in the near future.
10. Communications Supervisor Josh Michaelis appeared to present quarterly updates to the Commissioners. He updated the Commissioners on the status of the remodel and moving of dispatch.
11. Rob Challans appeared to present updates to the Commissioners. He reported on the Fly In at the airport this weekend.
12. Commissioners agreed to meet on Thursday, August 29th at 3:00 p.m. to review and approve month-end vouchers.
13. Commissioners will not meet next Monday, September 2nd due to the Labor Day holiday.
14. Commissioner Wilson adjourned the meeting.