These minutes are unofficial until reviewed and approved by the Board of County Commissioner as official.
April 22, 2019
All Commissioners Present
Commissioner Wilson Presiding
1. Commissioner Wilson called the meeting to order at 9:00 a.m. in the Commissioners Room at the Courthouse.
2. Commissioner Wiens moved to add to the agenda Aurelia Garcia into the executive session with Brenda Tucker at 11:30 to discuss non-elected personnel concerning policy and to add Register of Deeds Rhonda Hunt at 9:15 to discuss the purchase of a new copier in her office. The motion carried following a second by Commissioner McCloud.
3. Commissioner Wiens moved to approve the minutes of the April 15th session with the following changes:
Paragraph 6 sentence 1: Amy Boxberger presented the Comprehensive Plan for 2020 in the amount of $486,042.86.
Paragraph 7 sentence 1: Commissioner McCloud made a motion to approve the Comprehensive Plan for Community Corrections. The motion carried following a second by Commissioner Wiens.
Paragraph 11, Sentences 1 & 2: City Development Coordinator Audree Aguilera & Lyons City Administrator Chad Buckley from the City of Lyons appeared to request approval for the 1st and final airport extension project invoice. Commissioner McCloud moved to authorized to pay the county portion of Kirkham Michael invoices #43 for $439.62 & #44 for $1,498.04 for the runway to the city airport.
Paragraph 11, Sentences 1: Commissioner McCloud moved to pay the county portion of the final invoice of Kirkham Michael invoice #12 for $711.05 to the City of Lyons for the airport Obstacle Removal.
The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner McCloud.
4. There were no public comments.
5. The Commissioners looked at the 3rd floor leak after the rain last night. Commissioners discussed the new roof on the courthouse and the choice of colors is ours because we are not on the historical register.
6. Register of Deeds Rhonda Hunt came in to discuss her new copier. She wouldn’t receive anything for trade on her old one, so she is going to have Levi Beaver take it to the Congregational Church consignment Sale the 1st Saturday in May if she has her new one by then. She has decided on OPI ($4495.00) over Bolen ($3850.00) because of the details in the yearly contracts. The money for the new copier will come out of her technology fund.
7. Judge Mike Keeley, Sabrina Chisam & Lundy Settle with the 20th Judicial District Court Office were in to discuss the 2020 Budget request. The total is the same as last years in the amount of $69,420.
8. Public Works Administrator Tom Robl was in to discuss the letter he received from the Reno County Landfill. The Reno County Landfill is going to increase their fees of solid waste from $31.75/ton to $33.00/ton. They will also be increasing special waste and contaminated soil to $40.00/ton. He has investigated a call from Eric Kratzer with Galt Township to do something about the culverts at 23rd & Avenue D. Tom also presented a couple of bids for overhauling the Mack Truck. One was for $9283.32 from Summit Truck Group and the other was for $9445.35 from Foley Equipment in Salina. Commissioner McCloud moved to accept the quote from Summit Truck Group in an amount not to exceed $9283.32. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wiens. Tom also reported that the county mowing started this morning. They are also hauling the asphalt they purchased from Venture at their plant in Dundee back to the landfill for our patching this year.
9. Rice County Development Stacey Clark presented her quarterly update. She reported the Loan Program Updates, Updates for RCED (tourism, continuing education and celebrations), Public Relations and some ideas she has for strategic planning.
10. Sheriff Bryant Evans presented quotes from APAC and Rice County Public Works for the repairs of the roads/parking lots at the Law Enforcement Center. The Commissioners tabled the proposals until they have more information. Sheriff Evans also noted that there are no speed limit signs on 22nd Road between US 56 & Highway 4. Sheriff Evans also noted that he would like $32,000 of his equipment reserve money be earmarked for a (new to the department) vehicle for the Sheriff’s office. The vehicle to be replaced currently has 178,000 miles on it. He is looking to purchase a 2019 Dodge Crew cab 4 x 4. Commissioner McCloud suggested Sheriff Evans get a quote from Marmie’s in Great Bend before a decision is made. Sheriff Evans will list the old truck on Purple Wave.
11. Jessica Martinez with Professional Cleaning Technicians came in for a review of the cleaning services for the Courthouse. The Commissioners went over any issues that either party might be having. The Commissioners suggested to Jessica that she go to each department head and ask them if there was anything they need for their office or if they might have any suggestions for her crew.
12. Commissioner McCloud moved to go into executive session from 11:15 to 11:30 for discussion regarding a non-elected personnel matter in the Communications department and will return to open session at 11:30 in the Commissioners Room at the Courthouse. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wiens. The Commissioners, County Counselor Scott Bush and Communications Supervisor Josh Michaelis were present. Commissioners returned to open session at 11:30 in the Commissioners Room at the Courthouse.
13. Commissioner Wilson moved to go into executive session from 11:35 to 11:50 for discussion regarding non-elected personnel matter concerning policy and will return to open session at 11:50 in the Commissioners Room at the Courthouse. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner McCloud. The Commissioners, County Counselor Scott Bush, Aurelia Garcia & Brenda Tucker were present. Commissioners returned to open session at 11:40 in the Commissioners Room at the Courthouse.
14. Commissioner McCloud moved to go into executive session from 11:40 to 12:00 for discussion regarding non-elected personnel concerning policy and will return to open session at 12:00 in the Commissioners Room at the Courthouse. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wilson. The Commissioners, County Counselor Scott Bush, Aurelia Garcia & Brenda Tucker were present. County Clerk Alicia Showalter was part of the session via telephone. Commissioners returned to open session at 12:00 in the Commissioners Room at the Courthouse.
15. Commissioner Wilson adjourned the meeting.