These minutes are unofficial until reviewed and approved by the Board of County Commissioner as official.
March 11, 2019
All Commissioners Present
Commissioner Wilson Presiding
1. Commissioner Wilson called the meeting to order at 9:00 a.m. in the Commissioners Room at the Courthouse.
2. Commissioner McCloud moved to approve the agenda and the motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wiens. Commissioner McCloud moved to approve the minutes of the March 4th session with the following changes:
Paragraph 4 Sentence 2: Tom reported that the repairs to the landfill truck and the landfill loader have been completed.
Paragraph 7, Sentence 2: Tom estimated the cost of the bridge inspections to be approximately $500.00.
The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wiens.
3. Commissioners reviewed various projects and issues including airport contracts, road conditions, and the payment in lieu of taxes payments from the City of Lyons.
4. Commissioner McCloud moved to enter into executive session from 9:15 to 9:30 for discussion regarding research for a potential lawsuit and will return to open session at 9:30 in the Commissioners Room at the Courthouse. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wiens.
Commissioners returned to open session at 9:30 in the Commissioners Room at the Courthouse.
5. Commissioner Wiens moved to enter into an agreement with Larry Michel of Kennedy, Berkley, Yarnevich & Williamson Chtd. to investigate an HR complaint at $300.00 per hour not to exceed $3,000.00. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner McCloud.
6. Public Works Administrator Tom Robl appeared to present updates to the Commissioners. Tom presented the 2019 Solid Waste Management Plan for approval. Commissioner McCloud moved to approve the 2019 Solid Waste Management Plan for the South Central Kansas Solid Waste Authority. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wiens. Tom reported on the FEMA meeting scheduled for next Monday regarding the October 2018 flooding.
7. County Clerk Alicia Showalter presented an application for Federal Surplus Property purchases. She presented job description changes to two positions in the County Attorney’s office. Commissioners will review the changes and make a decision at the next session. Alicia discussed the change to the vacation policy regarding carryover of unused vacation time from one year to the next. Commissioners have agreed to leave the policy to carry over 40 hours from one year to the next. Anything over the 40 hours must be requested in writing for Commissioner approval. Alicia will make the change in the policy and present it for final approval at the next session.
8. Noxious Weed Director Levi Beaver appeared to present a quarterly report to the Commissioners. He presented a report on the expenditures for the department, current projects, and updates for Planning & Zoning and Floodplain. Levi requested a date to open chemical bids. Levi presented the Annual Noxious Weed Management Plan for signature. Commissioners discussed a possible voucher system for chemicals and Levi will do some research and report back.
9. Rural Fire Chief Ed Feil appeared to present updates to the Commissioners. He reported on the moving of some trucks between fire stations, installation of monitors (portable hydrants) and bumper sprayers on brush trucks, a meeting with the Windom and Inman fire chiefs regarding possible fires in the near future due to excess moisture, high water possibilities in the near future, and transfer of FEMA reimbursed funds to equipment reserve.
10. Lyons City Administrator Chad Buckley appeared to discuss the airport hangar agreement with Rob Challans. Commissioners authorized Chad to have a month to month agreement with Rob Challans drawn up and present to the Commissioners in the near future for final approval.
11. Alicia presented a KWORCC inspection report for review. She will make the necessary copies and the report will be discussed at the next session.
12. Commissioners discussed the EMS Medical Director contract. Further research will be obtained and presented at the next session. Commissioners reviewed the Old Business items on the agenda.
13. Commissioners agreed to meet at 3 p.m. on Thursday, March 14th to review and approve mid-month vouchers.
14. Commissioner Wilson adjourned the meeting.