These minutes are unofficial until reviewed and approved by the Board of County Commissioner as official.
October 29, 2018
Commissioners Wiens & Wilson Present
Commissioner Wilson Presiding
1. Commissioner Wilson called the meeting to order at 9:00 a.m. in the Commissioners Room at the Courthouse.
2. Commissioner Wiens moved to approve the agenda as presented. The motion carried following a second by Commissioner Wilson. Commissioner Wiens moved to approve the minutes of the October 22nd session with the following changes to paragraph 5 sentence 2:
Tom reported the grader repairs have been made and the grader has been returned. He presented a Local Road Safety Agreement for signature and presented information for the Federal Highway grant. Our cost for the Local Road Safety agreement will not exceed $5,043.93 and our share of the Federal Highway grant will be approximately $240,654.00.
Paragraph 6 sentence 2:
He reported that Rice County has received a disaster declaration for the September flooding and there will be a FEMA meeting this afternoon.
Paragraph 6 sentence 3:
Greg presented an invoice for a remounted ambulance and requested a check this week for delivery next Monday.
The motion carried following a second by Commissioner Wilson.
3. There were no public comments.
4. EMS/EM Director Greg Klein appeared to present his quarterly report for the departments. He reported on the status of his budgets, gave a budget update and the remounted ambulance will be delivered tomorrow. Greg presented lists of write-offs, small balance write-offs or Medicare adjustments and bankruptcy write-offs for approval. Commissioner Wiens moved to approve the list of write-offs in the amount of $6,412,51, small balance write-offs in the amount of $162.16, and bankruptcy write-offs in the amount of $1,945.87. The motion carried following a second by Commissioner Wilson.
5. Greg requested an executive session. Commissioner Wiens moved to enter into executive session from 9:15 to 9:25 for a non-elected personnel matter concerning employment status and to reconvene at 9:25. The motion carried following a second by Commissioner Wilson. County Clerk Alicia Showalter was present for the session.
Commissioners reconvened to open session at 9:25.
6. Judge Mike Keeley appeared to discuss the offices on the 3rd floor of the Courthouse. He would like to get a decision as soon as possible and the Commissioners will make a decision by November 15th.
7. Public Works Administrator Tom Robl appeared to present updates to the Commissioners. He presented a report on the problems with the grader transmission that has been repaired. Tom updated the Commissioners on the landfill building repairs indicating that materials should be delivered this week and construction should begin next week. Commissioners discussed the bridge on 24th Road and an issue concerning a ditch on a township road. Tom will research those issues and report back to the Commissioners with recommendations.
8. Julie Yarmer with Freedom Claims Management appeared to present the update for renewal of the County health insurance. Commissioner Wiens moved to approve the renewal for health insurance with Freedom Claims Management with an increase of 3.26% and with the addition of AirMed Care on a voluntary basis. The motion carried following a second by Commissioner Wilson. Open enrollment will take place on November 14, 2018.
9. Audree Aguilera with the City of Lyons appeared to present information on the music equipment for the bell tower. Commissioner Wilson moved to approve the City of Lyons to install music equipment in the Courthouse bell tower. The motion carried following a second by Commissioner Wiens. Audree presented a list of payments that have been paid toward the Airport Capital Improvements and a list of costs for future projects.
10. Commissioner Wilson opened the public hearing for the sale of county property. The surplus property is located on Avenue O between 14th Road and 15th Commissioner Wilson closed the public hearing with no comments from the public. Commissioner Wiens moved to declare property of .54 acres in 8-20-8 as surplus property. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wilson. Commissioner Wiens moved to sell this tract of land to Harlan Ebright for the amount of $999.00. The motion carried following a second by Commissioner Wilson.
11. Appraiser Gayla Godfrey appeared and requested an executive session. Commissioner Wiens moved to enter into executive session from 11:25 to 11:45 for attorney/client privilege concerning valuation of the Kansas Ethanol plant. The motion carried following a second by Commissioner Wilson. County Counselor Scott Bush was present for the session.
Commissioners reconvened to open session at 11:45.
12. County Clerk Alicia Showalter presented a quote from Dorma USA for repairs to doors at the courthouse. Commissioners requested another quote and report back at the next session. Alicia updated the Commissioners on the status of the Motor Fuel Tax Refunds and reports. Alicia presented an estimate from Steamatic for cleaning of chairs and stairs at the courthouse. Commissioners will review the estimate and make a decision at the next session. Commissioner Wilson reported that the fire alarm system for the elevator will be installed beginning November 7th.
13. Commissioners agreed to meet Wednesday, October 31st at 8:00 a.m. to review and approve month-end vouchers.
14. Commissioner Wilson adjourned the meeting.