These minutes are unofficial until reviewed and approved by the Board of County Commissioner as official.
November 5, 2018
All Commissioners Present
Commissioner McCloud Presiding
1. Commissioner McCloud called the meeting to order at 9:00 a.m. in the Commissioners Room at the Courthouse.
2. Commissioner Wilson moved to approve the agenda as presented. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wiens. Commissioner Wilson moved to approve the minutes of the October 29th session with the following change:
Paragraph 8 Sentence 2 – Commissioner Wiens moved to approve the renewal of health insurance with Freedom Claims Management with an increase of 3.26% and with the addition of AirMed Care and Lifesave Transfer on a voluntary basis.
The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wiens.
3. Register of Deeds Rhonda Hunt appeared to present a quarterly report to the Commissioners. She reported on fraudulent deeds and statutes that protect the legal owner. Rhonda discussed the mortgage registration fees sunsetting and what the final fees are for filing documents. Rhonda reported on the progress of digitizing records and leases being submitted for right-of-way for wind farm and pipeline projects. Payment for mileage when using personal vehicles was discussed and will be discussed further at a later time.
4. Public Works Administrator Tom Robl appeared to present updates to the Commissioners. Tom reported that the airport is setup to sell fuel but are currently waiting on permits. He reported that the materials for the repairs to the building at the landfill have been delivered and construction should begin this week. Tom reported on winterizing the county vehicles at the courthouse, flood damage repairs and inspecting of county buildings for termite damage.
5. Commissioners reviewed the status of the fire alarm system, elevator upgrade, relocation of the water fountain, upgrade for monitoring of lift stations, and the repair of the east door at the Courthouse. Commissioners authorized Quality Glass to make repairs to the east door of the courthouse for a cost of $125.70. Commissioners discussed the striping and waxing of the lobby floors at the Courthouse. Further quotes are being researched. Commissioners will obtain additional bids and report back. Alicia presented information from KCAMP regarding the inspection on the elevator repairs.
6. Audree Aguilera with the City of Lyons appeared to get approval of Invoice 41 for the 17/35 Extension Project at the Airport. Commissioner Wilson moved to approve Invoice 41 to Kirkham Michael in the amount of $3938.93 with 90% being reimbursed by the FAA and the remaining 10% being split by the City of Lyons and Rice County. Commissioner McCloud seconded the motion. Commissioners McCloud and Wilson voted in favor and Commissioner Wiens opposed. The motion carried.
7. Josh Michaelis, Communications Supervisor, appeared to present updates to the Commissioners. He reported that the Radio Infrastructure Equipment was delivered the week of October 14th. Josh asked how the funding for the remaining payment due is set up. Commissioners instructed for $839,808.00 to be transferred to the Radio Infrastructure fund and paid from that fund. Josh presented information on anti-static carpet and the quotes are:
Neufeldt’s Inc. $7,806.13
Thomas Flooring $7,520.61
Commissioner McCloud moved to accept the bid from Thomas Flooring in the amount of $7,520.61. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wiens. Josh discussed the payments for the general contractor on the remodel of the communications center. Josh presented a Supplemental Shared Users agreement with KDOT and is supplemental to the original agreement signed in 2009. Commissioner Wiens moved to approve Supplemental agreement #1 with KDOT for Infrastructure Radio User Agreement. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wilson.
8. Commissioner McCloud moved to enter into executive session from 11:04 to 11:15 for a non-elected personnel matter concerning a complaint. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wilson. Communications Supervisor Josh Michaelis and County Clerk Alicia Showalter were present for the session.
Commissioners returned to open session at 11:15.
9. County Counselor Scott Bush appeared and presented a deed for the sale of the property to Harlan Ebright. Commissioner Wilson moved to authorize the chairman sign the deed for the sale of the property to Harlan Ebright in the amount of $999.00. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wiens.
10. County Clerk Alicia Showalter presented a quote for the replacement of the lights on the north side of the Courthouse. Commissioners have requested an additional quote and a report back in the near future.
11. Commissioners discussed the locking/unlocking of the courthouse on a daily basis and the relocation of offices on the 3rd Commissioners will retain the office furniture from the offices on the 3rd floor as they are vacated for use by another department. The furniture will be moved when a determination is made. Commissioners agreed to meet next Wednesday, November 14, 2018 at 2:00 p.m. for the General Election Canvass and to review and approve mid-month vouchers. Commissioners discussed the mileage reimbursement policy and the longevity pay for employees.
12. Commissioners will not meet next Monday, November 12, 2018 due to the Veterans Day holiday.
13. Commissioner McCloud adjourned the meeting.
November 14, 2018
All Commissioners Present
Commissioner McCloud Presiding
1. Commissioners reviewed and approved the mid-month vouchers.
2. Commissioner McCloud moved to accept the quote from Navarro Electric for the replacement of the lights on the north side of the square that illuminate the flags. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wilson.
3. Commissioners adjourned as the Board of County Commissioners and reconvened as the Board of Canvassers.
4. Commissioners reviewed the 90 provisional ballots and tallied the counted votes.
5. Commissioner McCloud signed off on the elevator as completed.
6. Commissioner McCloud adjourned the meeting.