These minutes are unofficial until reviewed and approved by the Board of County Commissioner as official.
October 22, 2018
All Commissioners Present
Commissioner McCloud Presiding
1.Commissioner McCloud called the meeting to order at 9:00 a.m. in the Commissioners Room at the Courthouse.
2. Commissioner Wilson moved to approve the agenda with the addition of Gayla Godfrey at 12:00 and the minutes of the October 15th session as prepared. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wiens.
3. There were no public comments.
4. Public Health Administrator Marci Detmer and Nurse Supervisor Pam Guldner appeared to present updates to the Commissioners. Marci reports on the new grant program with KDHE, water leakage in the department, and damage to a window. She presented a quote for replacement of the window. Commissioners requested a second quote. The water leakage in the department was discussed and Commissioners authorized her to make some contacts to research the problem and offer suggestions for repairs. Marci updated the Commissioners on adult immunizations, Head Start immunizations, school flu shots, and training for depression, suicide and opioid crisis. Pam presented updates on immunization coverage and the WIC program. Marci reported on some training that was taken regarding school inspections and what is going to be required by the Health departments. Marci expressed concern regarding the construction of the dispatch center in the basement of the Health/EMS building. Commissioners requested research be done on digitizing old records.
5. Public Works Administrator Tom Robl appeared to present updates to the Commissioners. Tom reported that the new grader will be delivered this week, need for a grant application to be signed, information for the Federal Highway grant. FEMA meeting this afternoon at the EMS office, and returned to 8 hour days for the department.
6. EMS/EM Director Greg Klein appeared to update the Commissioners. He reported that Rice County has received a disaster declaration for the recent flooding and there will be a FEMA meeting this afternoon. Greg presented an invoice for a reconstructed ambulance and requested a check this week for delivery next Monday. The ambulance will be funded with county funds from EMS Equipment Reserve and regular Equipment Reserve funds.
7. Rural Fire Chief Ed Feil appeared to present updates to the Commissioners. Ed reported on flooding issues. He wants to require persons that go around road barricades and then need a water rescue to be required to pay restitution for expenses. Ed is wanting to organize a group to review flooding in Rice County to develop roads that can be used for emergency vehicles when flooding occurs.
8. Audree Aguilera with the City of Lyons appeared to present information regarding the Airport Capital Improvement Plan and stated that before we can move forward with further improvements, the Airport layout plan needs to be updated. At this time the Commissioners are requesting that the two original grants be closed prior to moving forward with more improvements.
Audree requested permission to put music in the courthouse bell/clock tower. Commissioners requested a copy of the quote and a visit from the vendor for more clarification.
9. Commissioner McCloud moved to adopt the agreement for the Local Road Safety Plan with a cost to the county of $5,043.93. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wiens.
10. Commissioners reviewed a solid waste assessment for the purpose of a class change. The Commissioners approve the change and the property will be adjusted accordingly.
11. Commissioner Wiens moved go into executive session from 11:20 to 11:35 attorney/client privilege concerning valuation. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wilson. Appraiser Gayla Godfrey was present for the session.
Commissioners reconvened at 11:35.
12. Communications Supervisor Josh Michaelis appeared to present updates to the Commissioners. He presented an agreement with Kimble Mapping for NG911 GIS services in the amount of $2,500 from October 1, 2018 to September 30, 2019. Commissioner Wilson moved to enter into the agreement with Kimble Mapping for NG911 GIS services in an amount not to exceed $2,500. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wiens. Josh presented a contract with AT&T. Commissioner McCloud moved to enter into an agreement to deinstall and reinstall the 911 equipment in the amount of $9,266.46. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wilson. Both of the above contracts will be funded from the 911 funds. Josh gave an update on current legislation.
13. Commissioner McCloud moved to enter into executive session from 11:45 to 11:52 for attorney/client privilege concerning an unemployment hearing. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wilson. County Clerk Alicia Showalter was present for the session.
Commissioners reconvened at 11:52.
14. Commissioner McCloud moved to enter into executive session from11:52 to 12:00 for attorney/client privilege concerning juvenile and child in need of care cases relating to KSA 38-1507. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wilson. County Clerk Alicia Showalter was present for the session.
Commissioners reconvened at 12:00.
15. Commissioner Wiens left the meeting at 12:00 p.m.
16. Commissioners discussed the Harlan Ebright cash rent lease. Commissioners authorized Alicia to consolidate the agreement and bring it to the meeting next week.
17. Commissioners reviewed the quotes for the fire alarm system for the Courthouse. The bids are:
F.E. Moran $4,848.64
Commissioner Wilson moved to accept the quote from F. E. Moran in the amount of $4,848.64. The motion carried following a second by Commissioner McCloud.
18. Commissioner McCloud adjourned the meeting.