These minutes are unofficial until reviewed and approved by the Board of County Commissioner as official.
October 1, 2018
All Commissioners Present
Commissioner McCloud Presiding
1. Commissioner McCloud called the meeting to order at 9:00 a.m. in the Commissioners Room at the Courthouse.
2. Commissioner Wiens moved to approve the agenda with the addition of the following Old Business items:
City of Lyons/Housing Authority
2nd Harassment Workshop
The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wilson. Commissioner Wiens moved to approve the minutes of the September 24th session. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wilson.
3. There were no public comments.
4. Treasurer Amy Buckman appeared to present her quarterly department report.
The Commissioners adjourned as Board of County Commissioners
The Commissioners reconvened as the Board of Canvassers for the 2018 Hospital 2 Special Election.
Commissioners adjourned as Board of Canvassers
The Commissioners reconvened as Board of County Commissioners
5. Public Works Administrator Tom Robl discussed the landfill agreement with Reno County. Tom also reported on paint striping, installation of signs, repairs of Avenue I, Airport fuel availability and Federal bridge funds through KDOT. Tom reported that the Grader was sent out for repairs.
6. Thomas Roberts from Liberty National did not appear. Commissioners used this time as a study session. Commissioners approved sending a letter of support to Sunflower Diversified Services KDOT transportation grant. Lightning Electric will be in to repair outdoor receptacles on Tuesday morning. Commissioners are waiting on bids for tree removal as well as for the fire alarms.
7. Audree Aguilera with the City of Lyons appeared to present invoice #40 from Kirkham Michael for $4078.60 for work on the airport expansion project and informed the commissioners that there would be one more invoice before the completion of the project. Commissioner Wiens moved to approve invoice #40 from Kirkham Michael in the amount of $4078.60. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wilson.
City of Lyons Administrator Chad Buckley appeared to discuss the testimony that was prepared for the task meeting that will take place in Newton on Thursday, October 4th, John Sweet, City of Sterling Administrator Taggart Wall & Rice County Economic Development Director Stacy Clark took part in a discussion regarding the K96 bypass project.
Commissioners discussed the PILOT (Payment in lieu of taxes) interlocal agreement reimbursement from the City of Lyons to the County for the years of 2015, 2016 & 2017 that were paid by the Housing Authority but were not transferred to the County for distribution to the proper taxing entities. Commissioners will discuss this with County Counselor Scott Bush and come up with a reasonable proposal to accommodate all parties.
8. Amy Boxberger with Community Corrections appeared and submitted a year end output report. Commissioner Wiens moved to approve the Fiscal year 2018 report. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wilson. There was a discussion regarding the use of the offices on the 3rd floor of the courthouse and the possible need to make some changes.
9. Jessica Martinez with Professional Cleaning Technicians appeared to discuss a cleaning schedule and contract. Commissioners went over a cleaning checklist and discussed rates. The cleaning checklist will be revised, and a contract will be drawn up by County Counselor Scott Bush.
10. Communications Supervisor Joshua Michaelis presented bids for the remodel of the basement of the EMS/Health building.
Roberts All Trades Services $95,680 (not to exceed on labor)
Rice County Builders $78,601.60
Patterson Cabinet Making and Millwork $57,574.31
Commissioner Wilson moved to approve the bid from Patterson Cabinet Making and Millwork of Sterling, for $57,574.31 with an extra amount of $780.89 for lighting upgrade and a possible electric upgrading providing the load testing indicates that it is needed. Motion carried unanimously with a 2nd by Commissioner Wiens. This will be funded through Capital Improvement and additional costs will be determined once bids for anti-static carpet are submitted.
Commissioners authorized Communications Supervisor Joshua Michaelis to join HGAC Buy, a government purchasing group, at no cost which will save the County money on large purchases that have already gone through the bid process.
11. Deputy Clerk Aurelia Garcia presented the commissioners with bids on behalf of County Appraiser Gayla Godfrey for the replacement of the countertop in the Appraisers office. Commissioners reviewed the bids and inspected the current countertop and will discuss this at a later date.
Commissioner McCloud adjourned the meeting.