These minutes are unofficial until reviewed and approved by the Board of County Commissioner as official.
June 4, 2018
All Commissioners Present
Commissioner McCloud Presiding
1. Commissioner McCloud called the meeting to order at 9:00 a.m. in the Commissioners Room at the Courthouse.
2. Commissioner Wilson moved to approve the agenda with the change of Alicia Showalter to Ed Feil at 11:15 and the addition of Audree Aguilera & Chad Buckley from the City of Lyons at 12:00. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wiens. Commissioner Wilson moved to approve the minutes with the following changes:
Paragraph 13, Sentence 2 – A session will be held on June 12th for interviews of possible candidates for the position and then a recommendation to the Governor for appointment.
Paragraph 14, Sentence 6 – Commissioners gave permission for the Windows 10 software upgrade in the County Clerk’s office and the Treasurer’s PC’s will not be replaced at this time.
The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wiens.
3. There were no public comments.
4. Jon Prescott, Sunflower Diversified, appeared to present the 2019 Budget request for the agency. He presented information about various projects within the agency.
5. Public Works Administrator Dennis Wray appeared to present updates to the Commissioners. Dennis presented 2 quotes for grader blades. Commissioner Wiens moved to approve the purchase from Welborn Sales in an amount not to exceed $9,080.00. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wilson. Dennis presented a resolution for all the County road signs for adoption. Commissioner McCloud moved to approve the Resolution for county road signs. Dennis discussed an issue regarding township road signs that are currently maintained by the County and can be turned back to the townships for maintenance according to HB 2511. Following some discussion, the Commissioners will take action in the near future. Dennis reported that the bi-annual bridge inspections will be done this year by Kirkham Michael. He reported that KDOT is doing load ratings on all bridges in Kansas and Rice County has had 41 completed at this time. Dennis reported that there are 3 trailers remaining from the E-waste project and requested permission to sell the trailers. Commissioners gave him permission to put the trailers on Purplewave.
6. Lanae Powell and Tyler Jones appeared to discuss a house that appears to be on an easement and they are requesting assistance in clearing up the issue. County Counselor Scott Bush visited with them and made several suggestions that they will pursue.
7. Wendy Hughes, Rice County Extension Agent, and Haley Eck, Extension Council board member, appeared to present the 2019 Budget request. The amount of the request is $115,133 and the building will remain the same as the request for 2018.
8. EMS/EM Director Greg Klein appeared. Commissioner Wilson moved to enter into executive session from 10:20 to 10:30 for a non-elected personnel performance appraisal. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wiens.
Commissioners returned to open session.
9. Commissioners discussed the roof repairs on the Extension Building. Hamilton Roofing presented a quote $25,891.95 for roof, gutters, and sign. Commissioner Wiens moved to approve the replacement of the Extension Building roof by Hamilton Roofing in an amount not to exceed $25,891.95. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wilson.
10. Sheriff Bryant Evans appeared to discuss a non-elected personnel issue. Commissioner Wilson moved to enter into executive session from 10:48 to 11:00 for a non-elected personnel matter concerning employee time and benefits. The motion carried following a second by Commissioner Wiens. Sheriff Bryant Evans and County Clerk Alicia Showalter was present for the session.
Commissioners returned to open session.
11. Rural Fire Chief Ed Feil and Assistant Russell Stephenson appeared to present updates to the Commissioners. Ed reported on various equipment purchases, retirement of Russell at the end of this year, a new assistant chief will be selected by the other department chiefs, purchase of equipment by JaCam, new fire truck purchases, radio purchase, and the 2019 Budget request in the amount of $423,600.
12. Lyons City Administrator Chad Buckley and Audree Aguilera appeared to get approval of the DBT Transportation agreement for the AWOS system. Further information will be obtained and reported at the next session. Chad discussed radio purchases and the attempt to include at least a portion of the cost in the 2019 budget.
13. County Clerk Alicia Showalter reported on checking into hiring a temporary person to assist in the office for approximately 12 weeks. She reported on the mail service for the Courthouse and the change in mail pickup time at the post office.
14. Appraiser Gayla Godfrey appeared to discuss the NRP for the rail spur for $1.25 million for Lyons Salt Co. Commissioner Wilson moved to approve the NRP for the Lyons Salt Co. rail spur under the current NRP plan. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wiens.
15. Commissioners discussed quotes from accounting services for the preparation of the County budget for 2019.
16. Commissioner McCloud adjourned the meeting.