These minutes are unofficial until reviewed and approved by the Board of County Commissioner as official.
June 11, 2018
Commissioners McCloud and Wilson Present
Commissioner McCloud Presiding
1. Commissioner McCloud called the meeting to order at 9:00 a.m. in the Commissioners Room at the Courthouse.
2. Commissioner Wilson moved to approve the agenda with additions to new business and the minutes of the June 4th session with the following change to Paragraph #5 Sentence #6 & #7 and Paragraph 7:
Commissioner McCloud moved to approve the Resolution (Authorizing & Ratifying the Placement of Traffic Control Signs within Rice County). The motion was seconded by Commissioner Wiens and carried unanimously.
The amount of the request is $115,133 and the building request for maintenance and upkeep will remain at $23,500.
The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner McCloud.
3. There were no public comments.
4. County Attorney Remington Dalke appeared to present a quarterly department report. He reported on the status of the case load for the office, his working relationship with law enforcement and answered a few questions that the Commissioners asked.
5. Josh Michaelis, Communications Supervisor, appeared to present updates to the Commissioners. Josh presented a bill from Mobile Radio Service for paging equipment on the tower at 17th Road & Avenue N. Commissioner Wilson moved to approve the bill from Mobile Radio Service in the amount of $6,732.14 to be paid from the 911 Budget. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner McCloud. Josh presented an invoice from Mobile Radio Tower for a 1-year lease at the tower at 17th Road and Avenue N. Commissioner McCloud moved to enter into an agreement with MRT for a 1-year lease in the amount of $1,400.00 and to be paid from the Communications budget. The motion carried following a second by Commissioner Wilson. Josh presented a quote for the replacement of a computer for supervisor use from Huber & Associates. Commissioner McCloud moved to authorize the purchase of a Lenovo laptop computer in an amount not to exceed $1,911.22. The motion carried following a second by Commissioner Wilson. Josh updated the Commissioners on an extension to August 16th for a decision on the radio project. Josh presented an agreement for dispatch contingency and overflow support with Barton County. Commissioners gave Josh the authority to execute the agreement.
6. Public Works Administrator Dennis Wray and Assistant Tom Robl appeared to present updates to the Commissioners. Dennis presented his letter of resignation to the Board. Dennis discussed the disposition of the remaining e-waste trailers and was authorized to proceed to put them on PurpleWave. He discussed the maintenance of the township traffic signs and a new law. Further discussion will be conducted in the near future. Dennis presented quotes for a new truck for the landfill. Action is postponed until the next session. Dennis reported that he is applying for the Off-Road Bridge Program for 2019. High Risk Rural Road Program for striping roads will be let on July 15th. This is the final year for our grant from this program. Dennis reported that the 2000 Chevy and old salt spreaders were sold on PurpleWave. Dennis requested permission to hire a new employee as the crew at this time is at 14 and long-time employees will be retiring in the near future. Commissioner authorized him to proceed with applications.
7. Detention Supervisor Tim Weaver and Zach Tommer appeared to request the purchase of computer equipment. Tim presented a quote from Stanley Security for the purchase of PLC 5 Migration and Intercom Upgrade (Control of all doors, electrical, and intercom systems in the Law Enforcement Facility). Commissioner Wilson moved to approve the purchase of PLC 5 Migration Upgrade from Stanley Security in an amount not to exceed $23,000.00. The motion carried following a second by Commissioner McCloud.
8. District Court Clerk Jane Hrabik appeared to request permission for conversion of court records to Digital Reel imaging. Commissioner McCloud moved to approve digitizing the court records for a total cost of $25,600.00 by Imaging Office Systems to be funded by the District Court Equipment Reserve Fund. The motion carried following a second by Commissioner Wilson.
9. Register of Deeds Rhonda Hunt appeared to discuss her 2019 Budget request. The amount of her request is $94,786.00. She reported on the lowering of the department revenue.
10. County Clerk Alicia Showalter reported on the status of the Courthouse lawn watering system. The sprinkler system will be reviewed by Wetlands Irrigation and adjusted as needed. Commissioners discussed the status of the trees on Courthouse lawn and the trees will be treated. Removal of any trees will be discussed at a later date. Alicia asked about using the Commissioners Room for the Veterans Affairs Agency on the 1st Tuesday of each month. Information will be obtained from Economic Development and arrangements made as the schedule permits.
11. Several issues concerning the use of earned leave and vacation polices for the Sheriff and Detention department were discussed. Detention Supervisor Tim Weaver appeared and took part in the discussion. Further information will be obtained and action will be taken at next week’s session.
12. Commissioner McCloud presented documents regarding shredding for the Courthouse by Document Resources, a division of Underground Vaults and Storage and reviewed the agreement. Commissioner McCloud moved to enter into an agreement with Document Resources for shredding services at the current rate schedule of $45.00 per month. The motion carried following a second by Commissioner Wilson.
13. Commissioners agreed to meet Thursday June 14th at 3 p.m. to review and approve mid-month vouchers.
14. Commissioner McCloud adjourned the meeting.