These minutes are unofficial until reviewed and approved by the Board of County Commissioners as official.
December 11, 2017
All Commissioners Present
Commissioner McCloud Presiding
1. Commissioner McCloud called the meeting to order at 9:00 a.m. in the Commissioners Room at the Courthouse.
2. Commissioner Wiens moved to approve the agenda and the minutes of the December 4th session as prepared. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wilson.
3. There were no public comments.
4. Lyons City Administrator John Sweet appeared to present updates to the Commissioners. He presented information regarding the Airport Turf Runway closing. John presented estimate #36 from Kirkham Michael for payment of the invoice. Commissioner Wiens moved to approve the estimate #36 to Kirkham Michael in the amount of $578.37 for the Runway Extension Project of which 90% will be reimbursed by the FAA. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wilson.
5. County Clerk Alicia Showalter presented budget balance documents to the Commissioners. She presented information regarding an indigent attorney case that will be exceeding the $400 cap, cost of KPERS that is paid by the County, County Attorney letter of resignation, and discussion regarding the Medical Director contract for the Detention Center. Alicia presented an invoice for 2018 Membership dues for the Kansas League of Municipalities. The Commissioners do not wish to pay the membership dues. Alicia presented a solid waste abatement for approval. Commissioners will review the property and report back at a future session.
Commissioner discussed the bank agreement for the County’s checking account. Treasurer Clint Bieberle appeared to answer questions. Commissioners asked Clint to make contacts for bids from the banks.
6. Chris Schneider with Gilmore Solutions appeared to answer questions regarding PC replacements that will need to be completed prior to January 2020. He will pursue contacting the department heads and working up a schedule for the replacements.
7. Byron Bina with Gavilon Grain appeared to discuss 2nd Road to the north for ½ mile from the facility and then west for 1 mile. With an increase of business, there is a concern for safety on Highway 56 and the truck traffic is wearing down the road north and west. Commissioners will make some contacts and report back.
8. Appraiser Gayla Godfrey appeared and requested the Commissioners revert back to the landowners the right-of-way land on Highway 56 and 26th Commissioner Wilson moved to revert the right-of-way land back to the landowners at the corner of Highway 56 and 26th Road. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wiens.
9. Commissioner Wiens moved to appoint Steven Fankhauser and Margaret Scheufler to the Rice County Planning Commission Board. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner McCloud.
10. County Counselor Scott Bush appeared and requested an executive session. Commissioner Wiens moved to enter into executive session from 11:15 to 11:30 for a non-elected personnel matter. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wilson.
Commissioners returned to open session.
11. Gayla Godfrey, Dennis Wray, Bryant Evans, Marci Detmer, Levi Beaver, Greg Klein, Josh Michaelis, Clint Bieberle, and Rhonda Hunt appeared to discuss changes in the employee handbook. Areas discussed were performance appraisals, earned leave policy, changing of policies for current employees who were hired with the understanding of having these specific benefits, vacation policy, optional benefits, and overtime. Commissioners answered other various questions.
12. Judge Mike Keely, Court Administrator Clerk John Isern, and County Attorney Scott McPherson appeared to discuss the appointment of Scott as the new District Judge. Judge Keely discussed the need for an office area for the District Judge. Commissioners reviewed various options on the third floor
13. Commissioners conducted discussion regarding changes to the employee manual. No decision was made on the handbook changes.
14. Commissioner Wiens moved to enter into a contract with Granville M. Bush for the services of County Counselor in the amount of $25,000 annually effective retroactive to December 1, 2017. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wilson.
15. Commissioners agreed to meeting December 14th at 4 p.m. to review and approve mid-month vouchers.
16. Commissioner McCloud adjourned the meeting.