These minutes are unofficial until reviewed and approved by the Board of County Commissioners as official.
August 21, 2017
All Commissioners Present
Commissioner McCloud Presiding
1. Commissioner McCloud called the meeting to order at 9:00 a.m. in the Commissioners Room at the Courthouse.
2. Commissioner Wiens moved to approve the agenda and the minutes of the August 14th session as prepared. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wilson.
3. There were no public comments.
4. Appraiser Gayla Godfrey appeared to present updates to the Commissioners. She reported on the hearing held with BOTA concerning the valuation of the Kansas Ethanol Plant and provided information on the process. There was discussion regarding hiring an appraiser for the appraisal of the plant and the Commissioners authorized Gayla to proceed with the attempt to hire an appraiser for that job. She will proceed to make contacts to get the process started.
5. Public Works Administrator Dennis Wray appeared to present updates to the Commissioners. Dennis reported that he sent a letter to each township requesting a list of traffic signs in the township and resolutions to support the placement of the signs. Dennis reported on the sand sealing process, the letting of the signing and striping project, and the possible removal of the aviation gas at the airport.
6. Steven Wilkinson, Executive Director of SCKEDD, appeared to present information to the Commissioners. He shared information of grants and services that SCKEDD provides to communities.
7. Lyons City Administrator John Sweet and Midwest Energy representatives Don Augustine, Mike Morley and James Wright appeared to present updates to the Commissioners. Don updated the Commissioners on the airport obstruction project and reported that the project is complete. He also reported on the substation located on Avenue Q, and other projects that will be started in the near future. Mike reported on the Governmental Community Fund that is sponsored by Midwest Energy for all non-profit groups and use of the wind farms including expansions. John presented a document for approval. Commissioner Wiens moved to approve Invoice #34 to Kirkham Michael Associates in the amount of $2,231.47 for the Airport Expansion Project and to be reimbursed 90% by the FAA Grant. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wilson. John presented Invoice #4 for approval. Commissioner Wilson moved to approve Invoice #4 to Kirkham Michael Associates in the amount of $1,584.06 for the Air Obstruction Project and to be reimbursed 90% by the FAA Grant. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wiens. John presented Invoice #2 to Cilessen & Sons for approval. Commissioner McCloud moved to approve Invoice #2 to Cilessen & Sons for runway closure marker removal in an amount not to exceed $2,700 not to be reimbursed by the FAA Grant. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wiens. Commissioners discussed the fuel system and tank at the airport.
8. Public Health Administrator Marci Detmer appeared to present information regarding grants. She answered various questions from the Commissioners. Marci asked permission to contract with a previous employee on a temporary basis to assist in training a new fulltime billing employee. Commissioners gave her permission for the temporary contract employee.
9. County Clerk Alicia Showalter presented information on the employee manual indicating sections of the manual that need Commissioner review. Alicia discussed the Radio Infrastructure Fund and how it is placed into the annual county budget. She will obtain more information and report back at the next session.
10. Commissioner McCloud moved to renew the SCKEDD membership in the amount of $1,714.11. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wiens.
11. Commissioner Wiens moved to enter into executive session from 11:50 to 12:00 for a non-elected personnel matter concerning the County Counselor position. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wilson.
12. County Counselor Scott Bush and County Clerk Alicia Showalter were present for the session.
13. Commissioners returned to open session.
14. Commissioner McCloud adjourned the meeting.