These minutes are unofficial until reviewed and approved by the Board of County Commissioners as official.
August 14, 2017
All Commissioners Present
Commissioner McCloud Presiding
1. Commissioner McCloud called the meeting to order at 9:00 a.m. in the Commissioners Room at the Courthouse.
2. Commissioner Wilson moved to approve the agenda and the minutes of the August 7th session as prepared. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wiens.
3. There were no public comments.
4. Treasurer Clint Bieberle appeared to present updates to the Commissioners. He presented personal property and oil & gas delinquent taxes that have been on the books since 1996. State statute allows the Commissioners to cancel the delinquencies after 20 years. Commissioners requested additional information. Clint will research the information and report back at the next session.
5. County Clerk Alicia Showalter presented a membership form for the Lyons Booster Club. The Commissioners determined that they are members of the Lyons, Sterling and Little River Chamber of Commerce and that no further memberships will be joined at this time.
6. Noxious Weed Director Levi Beaver appeared to present updates to the Commissioners. He presented quotes for the purchase of a new truck for the department. The quotes are:
Commissioners had a question regarding the type of cab on the Dodge quote. Levi will research the issue and report back.
7. Public Works Administrator Dennis Wray and Shop Foreman Tom Hampton appeared to present updates to the Commissioners. Dennis reported that there is a grader that needs new brakes. Commissioners gave him permission to get the brakes repaired. Dennis presented information on the purchase of a backhoe and discussed the John Deere and Case quotes. Commissioner McCloud moved to purchase the John Deere 310L Backhoe from Murphy Equipment in the amount of $87,800 plus $1650 for a 3 year warranty. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wiens. Dennis reported on the progress of the sand sealing.
8. Commissioner McCloud opened the public hearing at 10:00 a.m. for the 2018 Budget. There were no public comments. Commissioner McCloud closed the public hearing. Commissioner Wiens moved to approve the 2018 Rice County Budget as presented and published. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wilson. Commissioner Wiens moved to approve the 2018 Rural Fire District Budget in the amount of $354,900. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wilson.
9. Economic Development Director Stacy Clark appeared to present updates to the Commissioners. Stacy reported on the Revolving Loan, Sterling-Alden E-Community, Rice County E-Community, StartUp Kansas, Tourism, Continuing Education, Celebrations, Public Relations, and Strategic Planning.
10. John Copeland with All American Associates appeared to present information regarding the Loyal American insurance coverage that various employees carry on an individual basis. Commissioners will review the issues and report back in the near future.
11. Public Health Administrator Marci Detmer and Nurse Supervisor Pam Guldner appeared to present updates. Marci requested an executive session. Commissioner Wiens moved to enter into executive session from 11:00 to 11:15 for a non-elected personnel matter concerning wages. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wilson.
Commissioners returned to an open session.
12. County Counselor Scott Bush appeared and presented updates to the Commissioners. He discussed the statute that specifies that counties are responsible for signage on township roads. Further discussion will be conducted at the next session.
13. Scott requested an executive session. Commissioner McCloud moved to enter into executive session from 11:45 to 12:00 for trade secrets of a private company. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wiens. County Clerk Alicia Showalter was present for session.
Commissioners returned to open session.
14. Commissioners reviewed and approved mid-month vouchers.
15. Commissioner McCloud adjourned the meeting.