These minutes are unofficial until reviewed and approved by the Board of County Commissioners as official.
July 10, 2017
All Commissioners Present
Commissioner McCloud Presiding
1. Commissioner McCloud called the meeting to order at 9:00 a.m. in the Commissioners Room at the Courthouse.
2. Commissioner Wilson moved to approve the agenda with the addition of Marci Detmer at 10:00 and the minutes of the July 3rd session as prepared. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wiens.
3. There were no public comments.
4. Sheriff Bryant Evans appeared to present updates to the Commissioners. He presented bids for equipping a new vehicle with all the necessary equipment and for servicing vehicles as needed. Commissioners instructed the Sheriff that he is responsible for his budget but needs to be sure that if there is a potential for a conflict of interest then he needs to be sure to get quotes for backup.
5. Public Works Administrator Dennis Wray appeared to present updates to the Commissioners. He reported on the completion of the project at Buffalo Bill’s Well. Dennis reported on repairs to a backhoe for the department as well as the FEMA reimbursement for the ice storm in the amount of $11,988.82 and the striping project is due to be let on August 23rd. Dennis discussed the signage for the recent vacated road and reported that he is still waiting to hear back from the State about the responsibility of the signage.
6. Public Health Administrator Marci Detmer appeared to present updates to the Commissioners. She presented the corrected Barton County contract for approval. Commissioner Wiens moved to approve the contract with Barton County for a WIC Dietician for 288 hours per year. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wilson. Marci presented an employment status form for a Nurse Supervisor. Commissioners discussed changes to job descriptions being approved by Commissioners prior to actual change. Commissioner Wiens moved to change the Nurse Supervisor pay range from 28 to 35 due to the change not having been made when the RN pay range was changed. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wilson.
Commissioners approved the employment status form to promote a current employee to the position of Nurse Supervisor. Commissioners reviewed the department 2018 budget request with Marci. Marci presented a request to hire an RN for the vacancy in the department. Following discussion, Commissioners authorized Marci to place an ad for an LPN for the vacancy in the Health Department. Further information was requested for presentation in the near future.
7. Economic Development Director Stacy Clark appeared to present updates to the Commissioners. She reported on the loan programs, Tourism program, continuing education, celebrations, public relations and strategic planning. Stacy updated the Commissioners on the purchase of a new laptop.
8. Detention Supervisor Tim Weaver appeared to present updates to the Commissioners. The Commissioners reviewed the department 2018 Budget request. Tim requested an executive session. Commissioner Wiens moved to enter into executive session from 11:10 to 11:35 for attorney/client privilege concerning an unemployment appeal hearing and for a possible lawsuit. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wilson. County Counselor Scott Bush and County Clerk Alicia Showalter were present for the session.
The Commissioners returned to open session.
9. Commissioner Wilson moved to enter into executive session from 11:35 to 11:50 for attorney/client privilege. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wiens. County Counselor Scott Bush was present for the session.
Commissioners returned to open session.
10. Commissioners conducted a budget study session.
11. Commissioners agreed to meet Thursday, July 13th at 4 p.m. to review mid-month vouchers.
12. Commissioner McCloud adjourned the meeting.