These minutes are unofficial until reviewed and approved by the Board of County Commissioners as official.
May 22, 2017
All Commissioners Present
Commissioner McCloud Presiding
1. Commissioner McCloud called the meeting to order at 9:00 a.m. in the Commissioners Room at the Courthouse.
2. Commissioner Wilson moved to approve the agenda with the removal of Sheriff Bryant Evans at 11:30 and the minutes of the May 15th session with the following change:
Paragraph 15: Commissioner Wiens moved to authorize the chairman sign the Management letter for the 2016 Audit. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wilson.
The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wiens.
3. There were no public comments.
4. Detention Supervisor Tim Weaver appeared to present updates to the Commissioners. He reviewed the need for repairs on a refrigerator and presented a bid for a new refrigerator from B & B Mechanical in the amount of $2,886.52. Commissioner McCloud moved to replace the refrigerator in an amount not to exceed $2,882.52 from B & B Mechanical. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wiens. Commissioners reminded the department head that 3 bids need to be acquired for major purchases. Tim requested permission to hire a person to fill a vacancy due to the termination of an employee. Commissioners authorized the filling of the vacancy.
5. Communications Supervisor Josh Michaelis appeared to present updates to the Commissioners. He explained a Security Awareness Training program and the importance or benefit of the purchase of the program. The Commissioners requested that Josh get a commitment from the other department heads at the Law Enforcement Center and then return to a future session for final approval.
6. EMS/EM Director Greg Klein appeared to present updates to the Commissioners. Local flooding in various parts of the county and the possible placement of Flood Monitoring Station at 8th Road and Avenue G was discussed. Greg reported on the Sterling EMS Station and the need for major repairs or replacement. Greg reported on the WENS system and weather notifications.
7. Julie Yarmer with Freedom Claims Management appeared to present some additional information for the health insurance renewal. She answered various questions. Commissioners approved an 18 month contract with an increase in premiums of $198,000 for the 18 month period with no increase to be passed on to the employees.
8. Zach Krause with KVK Inc. appeared to discuss the HVAC system for the Courthouse. He explained the upgrade of the heating system in 2014 and the condition of the current cooling system. Rough estimates for the replacement of the chiller system are approximately $77,868. Commissioners will need to begin making plans for the replacement sometime within the next 2 years.
9. Jim Johnson with Sunflower Diversified Services appeared to present the 2018 Budget request for the agency. The amount of the request is $30,000 which is the same as last year. Jim explained the programs within the agency and answered various questions.
10. County Clerk Alicia Showalter presented updates to Commissioners. She reported that all 2018 budget requests have been received and the Commissioners discussed the budget process. Alicia presented a Trend Analysis for all budgets since 2013. Alicia will prepare the first draft of the budget and present it at the next session.
Alicia presented the 2016 Audit for the Council on Aging which the Commissioners reviewed.
Alicia presented an email request from the Extension Council for the Commissioners to participate is judging an event for the 4-H Fair on July 17th. Commissioners agreed to judge the event.
Alicia presented the Membership application for Main Street Sterling. Commissioner McCloud moved to approve the 2017 Membership of $75.00 for Main Street Sterling. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wiens.
11. Commissioners discussed the updating of the employee handbook. They authorized the County Clerk to review the handbook, note items that have caused problems and report back to them at the next session.
12. Commissioners will not meet next week due to the Memorial Day holiday.
13. Commissioners agreed to meet May 30th at 4 p.m. to review and approve month-end vouchers.
14. Commissioner McCloud adjourned the meeting.