These minutes are unofficial until reviewed and approved by the Board of County Commissioners as official.
May 8, 2017
All Commissioners Present
Commissioner McCloud Presiding
1. Commissioner McCloud called the meeting to order at 9:00 a.m. in the Commissioners Room at the Courthouse.
2. Commissioner Wilson moved to approve the agenda with the addition of Josh Michaelis at 9:15 and an executive session with County Clerk Alicia Showalter and the minutes of the May 1st session as prepared. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wiens.
3. There were no public comments.
4. Alice Prester and Rocky Gaines with the Council on Aging appeared to present the 2018 Budget for the agency. Rocky informed the Commissioners that the current staff is excellent and looks for the agency clients to grow. Alice informed the Commissioners that a new van will be purchased that will be larger than the current vans. They answered various other questions from the Commissioners.
5. Communications Supervisor Josh Michaelis appeared to present the 2018 Budget requests for Communications, 911 and Radio Infrastructure. The amounts were Communications – $425,374.80; Radio Infrastructure – $376,400.00; 911 – $264,891.14. Both the Radio Infrastructure and 911 funds are non-levied funds. Josh updated the Commissioners on the status of the Next Generation 911 system within the State of Kansas.
6. Public Works Administrator Dennis Wray appeared to present updates to the Commissioners. Dennis reported that the department has started their schedule of 10 hour days. He discussed the quotes for a double drum roller and would like to make a purchase from Berry Tractor. Commissioners gave Dennis permission to pursue the purchase of the double drum roller from Berry Tractor.
7. Julie Kramp with The Center for Counseling and Consultation appeared to present the 2018 Budget request for the agency. The amount of the request is $37,080.
8. Shayla Grasser, Wendy Hughes and Debbie Rains appeared to present the 2018 Extension Council budget requests. The amount of the request is $111,644. The budget request for the Extension Building will be delivered within the next 10 days.
9. Treasurer Clint Bieberle appeared to present an update on the financial status of the County. He reviewed various reports with the Commissioners. Clint presented his 2018 Budget request for his department. The amount of the request is $146,790.00. Clint presented tax abatements. Commissioner Wiens moved to approve the tax abatements in the amount of $566.72. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wilson.
10. Undersheriff Chad Murphy appeared to present updates to the Commissioners. He reviewed payments for a vendor. Chad answered various questions regarding the vendor products and vehicles. Commissioners requested that a checklist be made for servicing of vehicles and vehicles be taken to the Public Works department for the service.
11. Jim Thies and Larry White, landowners from East Washington Township, appeared to discuss roads in the township. Various questions were asked and answered concerning closing of some roads in the township. Public Works Administrator Dennis Wray was present for the session.
12. Commissioners reviewed the 2017 Noxious Weed Management Plan. Commissioner McCloud moved to approve the Noxious Weed Management Plan for 2017. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wiens.
13. County Clerk Alicia Showalter requested an executive session. Commissioner Wiens moved to enter into executive session from 12:10 to 12:20 for attorney/client privilege concerning a potential lawsuit. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wilson. County Counselor Scott Bush and County Clerk Alicia Showalter were present for the session.
14. Commissioners returned to open session.
15. Commissioners agreed to approve mid-month vouchers next Monday morning.
16. Commissioner McCloud adjourned the meeting.