These minutes are unofficial until reviewed and approved by the Board of County Commissioners as official.
May 1, 2017
All Commissioners Present
Commissioner McCloud Presiding
1. Commissioner McCloud called the meeting to order at 9:00 a.m. in the Commissioners Room at the Courthouse.
2. Commissioner Wiens moved to approve the agenda with the addition of an executive session with Alicia Showalter at 10:45 and the minutes of the April 24th session as prepared. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wilson.
3. There were no public comments.
4. Sharon Pearsall & Travis Mathes with EMS appeared to present write-offs for the department. Commissioner Wiens moved to submit the accounts in the amount of $14,393.99 to the State Setoff Program. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wilson.
5. Commissioners reviewed a quote for resealing the windows at the Health Department. Contact will be made to fix the hinge and reseal the worst of the windows for an approximate amount of $750.00
6. County Clerk Alicia Showalter discussed several checks that were held from the last Accounts Payable. Commissioners approved sending one of the checks and is obtaining additional information on the others.
7. Public Works Administrator Dennis Wray appeared to present updates to the Commissioners. He reported on 29th Road between Avenue W and Avenue X is indicated as vacated. 29th Road between Avenue X and Avenue Y is indicated as primitive. County Clerk Alicia Showalter will review records to see if either road has a resolution attached for vacation or minimum maintenance and will report back. Dennis reported on the status of a roller listed on PurpleWave. He presented information on 2 used rollers at Berry Tractor, but they are a lot more money. Dennis will get more information on them and report back at a future session.
8. Judge Richard Burgess appeared to discuss indigent attorney vouchers. The Commissioners requested that some kind of running total per case be kept and reported to them in order to meet the $400 total of the contract.
9. Mary Kendrick appeared to report on the Kids Camp that will take place on June 1st and 2nd and informed the meeting participants that anyone wishing to make a personal donation could contact her.
10. Lyons City Administrator John Sweet appeared to present updates on the airport. He presented information on the AWOS System and the bids. The bid cost is up from the original estimate. Commissioner McCloud moved to approve the grant application in the amount of $176,889 for the AWOS System subject to approval from KDOT to fund 90%. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wiens. John presented information regarding the Airfield Obstruction Project Grant and requested approval to sign the grant application. Commissioner Wiens moved to approve the signing of the grant application for a 90%/10% split to the FAA in the amount of $119,956 for the Airfield Obstruction Project. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wilson. Commissioners discussed the Floodplain project.
11. County Clerk Alicia Showalter showed the current election equipment to the Commissioners. Alicia then discussed the purchase of new election equipment and answered various questions for the Commissioners. Alicia reported that she will be attended a County Clerk’s conference this week and should obtain some additional information on elections. She will report back to the Commissioners next week.
Alicia requested an executive session. Commissioner Wiens moved to enter into executive session from 11:45 to 12:00 for a non-elected personnel performance appraisal. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wilson. County Counselor Scott Bush was present for the session.
Commissioners returned to open session.
12. Commissioner McCloud moved to enter into executive session from 12:00 to 12:15 for a non-elected personnel matter concerning county policy. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wiens. County Counselor Scott Bush was present for the session.
13. Commissioners returned to open session.
14. County Counselor Scott Bush reported on the status of the Tax Sale and that the sale would take place sometime the first part of June.
15. Commissioner McCloud adjourned the meeting.