These minutes are unofficial until reviewed and approved by the Board of County Commissioners as official.
April 24, 2017
All Commissioners Present
Commissioner McCloud Presiding
1. Commissioner McCloud called the meeting to order at 9:00 a.m. in the Commissioners Room at the Courthouse.
2. Commissioner Wiens moved to approve the agenda with the addition of an executive session at 9:00 and the minutes of the April 17th session as prepared. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wilson.
3. There were no public comments.
4. Commissioner McCloud moved to go into executive session from 9:03 to 9:30 for non-elected personnel issues concerning policy. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wiens. County Clerk Alicia Showalter was present for 10 minutes of the session and then exited.
Commissioners returned to open session.
5. Public Works Administrator Dennis Wray appeared to present updates to the Commissioners. He reported on renting a steel roller each year and informed the Commissioners of a steel roller that is listed on Purplewave for sale. Dennis told the Commissioners that the County would be responsible for repairs where that is not the issue with renting. Commissioners gave him permission to pursue information regarding the possible purchase. Dennis reported on a low water crossing on 19th Road between Avenue R & S. Dennis requested permission to hire out most of the work for approximately $8,000. Commissioner Wiens moved to approve the repair of the low water crossing on 19th Road between Avenue R & S in an amount not to exceed $10,000. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wilson.
6. County Clerk Alicia Showalter reported on the rural directories. Updated data is acquired from the Appraiser in early fall and delivery of new directories is at the beginning of the following calendar year.
Alicia presented information on the polling place and advance voter numbers from the November election. Commissioners asked a few more questions regarding the purchase of new election equipment and asked to see the current equipment. Alicia will get the equipment set up at the next session and presented additional information on the purchase of new election equipment.
7. Danica Huddleston with Woydziak Hardware appeared to report on the annual Safety Day. She asked permission to use the Courthouse lawn on May 6th from 11:00 to 2:00 and to use electricity. Commissioners gave permission to use the lawn and the electricity.
8. Public Health Administrator Marci Detmer and RN Amy Pieplow appeared and requested an explanation of a possible HIPPA violation. Amy shared the results of a staff meeting and policies to remedy the situation. Marci discussed overtime and comp time policies. She discussed NIMS policy and reported that her staff has completed all the required classes. Marci answered various questions regarding payment of services and bad debt that the department might have outstanding.
9. County Treasurer Clint Bieberle appeared to visit with the Commissioners. Commissioner McCloud moved to enter into executive session from 11:15 to 11:45 for a non-elected personnel matters concerning policies. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wiens. County Counselor Scott Bush was present for the session.
Commissioners returned to open session.
10. Commissioners discussed damages from the fires in March and possible road closings.
11. Commissioner Wiens moved to approve the invoice for COP Consulting for savings on the moving of telephone lines in the amount of $2430.30. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner McCloud.
12. Commissioner Wiens moved to pay Cecil Burdette for damages in the amount of $1,302.00 due to the overreach of the Fire Department. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wilson.
13. Commissioner Wiens moved to authorize the chairman to sign the contracts for the renewal of the county health insurance policy with Freedom Claims Managements, Inc. and Aetna for the 2017 budget year. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wilson.
14. Commissioners will meet at 4 p.m. on Thursday, April 27th to review and approve month-end vouchers.
15. County Clerk Alicia Showalter reminded the Commissioners of the Employee Open Enrollment Meetings scheduled for Friday, April 28th.
16. Commissioner McCloud adjourned the meeting.