These minutes are unofficial until reviewed and approved by the Board of County Commissioners as official.
March 20, 2017
All Commissioners Present
Commissioner McCloud Presiding
1. Commissioner McCloud called the meeting to order at 9:00 a.m. in the Commissioners Room at the Courthouse.
2. Commissioner Wiens moved to approve the agenda with the addition of Cecil Burdette at 9:15 and the minutes of the March 13th session as prepared. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wilson.
3. There were no public comments.
4. Bernard Henze called for a conference on getting relief of penalty and interest on an oil lease tax statement. Commissioners informed him of state law not allowing the Commissioners to waive any penalty and interest. Commissioners informed him that they will respond to him by email informing him of the process that he can pursue.
5. Cecil Burdette appeared to register a complaint regarding damage to his pasture by the fire department during the wildfire in Rice and Reno County. Commissioners informed him that the County will remedy the issue and they will be in contact with him with more information.
6. Public Works Administrator Dennis Wray appeared to present updates to the Commissioners. Dennis presented a quote from High Plains Sand Inc. for coldmix asphalt. Commissioner Wiens moved to approve the purchase of 1750 tons of coldmix asphalt from High Plains Sand Inc. at $59.56 per ton not to exceed $104,230.00 and includes 45 tons for Chase and 40 tons for Bushton. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wilson.
Dennis asked who would be attending the SCKACE meeting in Hutchinson and Commissioners McCloud and Wilson are planning to attend. Dennis reported that some of the County equipment (backhoe and hydraulic press) has been listed on Purple Wave.
Dennis reported on additional right of way purchased at the corner of 17th Road and Avenue Q by Rice County. Midwest Energy is wanting to know what this purchase by Rice County was for and would the County be willing to relinquish the right of way. Commissioners will discuss the issue with the County Counselor and report back to Dennis.
7. County Clerk Alicia Showalter requested a decision on a Fund Balance Policy and the Purchasing Policy. Commissioners discussed the Fund Balance Policy and the current Purchasing Policy for the County. Commissioners requested some additional information from the County Clerk. Alicia will get the information and report back at the next session.
8. County Counselor Scott Bush appeared with updates for the Commissioners. Commissioner Wilson moved to enter into an agreement with the Claflin Ambulance Services Association to renew an agreement with fee increase for service in the Northwest portion of Rice County. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wiens.
Commissioners discussed the right of ways at the intersection of 17th Road and Avenue Q. Commissioners will obtain quit claim deeds and deed the property back to the property owners.
9. Communications Supervisor Josh Michaelis updated the Commissioners on the Polycom System. He reported that MTC has the additional service set up at the Law Enforcement Center. Huber & Associates will have the firewall set up by the first part of next week.
Josh gave a presentation on the relocation of the Communications Center to the basement of the Health/EMS building and presented a document with estimated costs for the remodel.
Josh discussed out of state travel for APCO and would like to travel to Denver for the conference that would include 4 days and 3 nights. Commissioners gave him permission to send several employees to the conference.
10. Public Health Administrator Marci Detmer appeared and requested an executive session. Commissioner Wiens moved to enter into executive session from 12:02 to 12:12 for a non-elected personnel matter. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wilson. County Counselor Scott Bush was present for the session.
Commissioners returned to open session.
11. Commissioner Wilson moved to enter into executive session from 12:15 to 12:20 for non-elected personnel issue concerning a lawsuit. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wiens. County Clerk Alicia Showalter and County Counselor Scott Bush were present for the session.
Commissioners returned to open session.
12. Commissioners discussed property damage caused during the fire and repairs to the property. Further information will be obtained and reported at a future session.
13. County Clerk Alicia Showalter presented information regarding election polling places and new voting equipment. She reported that she is still putting together figures, but is looking at consolidating 6 polling places into one polling place. Various factors are contributing to this decision and she will report full information in the near future.
14. Commissioner McCloud adjourned the meeting.