These minutes are unofficial until reviewed and approved by the Board of County Commissioners as official.
March 13, 2017
All Commissioners Present
Commissioner McCloud Presiding
1. Commissioner McCloud called the meeting to order at 9:00 a.m. in the Commissioners Room at the Courthouse.
2. Commissioner Wiens moved to approve the agenda with the addition of Greg Klein at 9:00. The minutes of the March 6th session need changed in paragraph 9 concerning the chemical bids. Van Diesel should be Van Diest. The motion carried unanimously with the change and following a second by Commissioner Wilson.
3. There were no public comments.
4. EMS/EM Director Greg Klein, Rural Fire Chief Ed Feil and Assistant Fire Chief Russell Stephenson appeared to update the Commissioners on the fire in Rice and Reno Counties. Greg presented a map of the fire area and reported that we meet the requirements for an FMAG (Fire Management Assistance Grant). This grant would reimburse the county at up to 75% of costs. Various other aspects of the fire were discussed regarding costs of bulldozing, firefighter wages, truck repairs, etc.
Greg reported on a bill that will be coming through for Kids Camp in the amount of $800. He discussed an upgrade to the computer system in the building by Gilmore Solutions. Commissioners informed him that the upgrade should be paid by the departments in the building.
5. County Clerk Alicia Showalter presented a Proclamation designating April as Fair Housing Month. Commissioner Wiens moved to authorize the chairman to sign the Proclamation designating April as Fair Housing Month. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wilson.
Alicia discussed plants for the pots at the entrances of the Courthouse. Commissioners authorized an amount not to exceed $200 for plants for the pots at the entrances to the Courthouse.
Commissioner Wiens moved to appoint Richard Burgess to the Board for The Center for Counseling and Consultation. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wilson.
Commissioners approved a vacation carryover request for an employee.
6. Public Health Administrator Marci Detmer appeared to present updates to the Commissioners. She requested permission to get the windows sealed in the Health/EMS Building. Marci was authorized to get quotes for repairs to the windows and report back at a future session. Marci discussed a dilapidated house in Geneseo that needs to be demolished as a neighbor is filing a complaint. She is requesting support from the Commissioners prior to beginning the work to have it demolished. Commissioners informed Marci that the property appears to be in the city limits of Geneseo and she needs to contact them.
7. Andrew Allen with Benefits Direct appeared and reviewed the benefits program. He will work with Alicia to get things ready for the open enrollment period.
8. Alicia updated the Commissioners on the internet service for the polycom system for the Sheriff’s Office and District Court. She will check with Josh Michaelis and report any updates to the Commissioners at the next session.
9. County Counselor Scott Bush appeared and presented updates to the Commissioners. He is waiting on information from Greg Klein regarding the Claflin Ambulance Agreement. Scott requested an executive session. Commissioner Wiens moved to enter into executive session from 11:55 to 12:10 for attorney/client privilege regarding a complaint from the Human Rights Commission.
Commissioners returned to open session.
10. Commissioner McCloud adjourned the meeting.