These minutes are unofficial until reviewed and approved by the Board of County Commissioners as official.
February 6, 2017
All Commissioners Present
Commissioner McCloud Presiding
1. Commissioner McCloud called the meeting to order at 9:00 a.m. in the Commissioners Room at the Courthouse.
2. Commissioner Wiens moved to approve the agenda with the deletion of Levi Beaver at 9:00 and the minutes of the January 30th session as prepared. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wilson.
3. There were no public comments.
4. Commissioners reviewed the Annual Noxious Weed Reports. Commissioner Wiens moved to approve the Annual Noxious Weed Reports. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wilson.
5. County Clerk Alicia Showalter reported on the status of the road vacation in Odessa Township. The public hearing is scheduled for next week. Alicia reported of various pieces of equipment being stored in the attic and the need to dispose of the excess. Alicia was given permission to contact all the department heads to put together a list for a consignment auction. Alicia discussed the COLA for 2017. Commissioners discussed the issue of a COLA and will not take any action as there will be no adjustment. Alicia presented an updated vehicle listing to all the Commissioners.
6. Public Works Director Dennis Wray appeared to present updates to the Commissioners. He reported that the Township Meeting will be next Monday, February 13th at 6 p.m. at the Celebration Centre. Dennis reported on the patching, overlaying, sand sealing and striping project scheduled for this year. He reported on the deck replaced on the bridge on 24th Road has been completed. Dennis discussed the building driveways for the EMS garage and requested payment of the rock while the labor will be donated. Commissioners approved paying for the rock for the driveway and approaches to the new garage to be funded out of Capital Improvement Fund in an amount not to exceed $1,000. Dennis reported a stock pile is being built south of Chase by APAC to be used for overlay of the state highway to Ellinwood. He reported on Lyons and Chase requesting the department sand seal for those municipalities this year.
7. Communications Supervisor Josh Michaelis appeared to discuss the Radio Infrastructure Fund. He reported on the status of the equipment at Communications and the possibility of upgrading the equipment as McPherson County upgrades their equipment. This may create a cost savings.
8. Lyons City Administrator John Sweet appeared to update the Commissioners on the Airport. He reported on the power pole removal north of the Airport. John informed the Commissioners that Midwest Energy has requested payment for the materials to convert the power lines to underground service. John reviewed the use of entitlement funds from the FAA and reported that it will be used for the power pole project and for the construction of new hangars. Commissioner Wiens moved to approve the application for the Air obstruction clearance project with the FAA in the amount of $120,000. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wilson. Commissioner Wilson moved to approve an application to the FAA for Constructing 2 Box Hangars that will house 2 airplanes each in the amount of $204,000 with an FAA Grant for 90/10 cost share. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wiens.
9. Undersheriff Chad Murphy appeared to report on the status of the department vehicles. The Sheriff’s office will proceed with a vehicle purchase.
10. Detention Supervisor Tim Weaver appeared to present updates to the Commissioners. He presented two employee status forms for approval. Commissioners instructed Tim to review employee pay and report back on a way to make an adjustment for all employees of the department.
11. Alicia presented an invoice for KCCA (Kansas County Commissioners Assn.) for the 2017 membership dues. Commissioner Wilson moved to approve the 2017 membership dues for KCCA in the amount of $325.00. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wiens.
12. Commissioner Wilson moved to enter into executive session from 11:48 to 12:00 for a non-elected personnel matter at the Sheriff’s Office. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Wiens. County Counselor Scott Bush was present for the session.
Commissioners returned to open session.
13. Commissioners discussed the outsourcing of HR and PR. They are wanting to get a second proposal and asked Alicia to make a contact with Windsor HR. She will make the contact and report back in the near future.
14. Commissioner McCloud adjourned the meeting.