These minutes are unofficial until reviewed and approved by the Board of County Commissioners as official.
August 25, 2014
All Commissioners Present
Commissioner McCloud Presiding
1. Commissioner McCloud called the meeting to order at 9:00 a.m. in the Commissioners Room at the Courthouse.
2. Commissioner Oswalt moved to approve the agenda with the addition of Jill Nichols at 9:00 a.m. and approve the minutes of the August 18th session as prepared. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Bray.
3. Keith Bright with CMX appeared requesting permission to lay a water line in the right-of-way on a township road. Commissioners informed him to contact the township board to proceed.
4. Jill Nichols, Economic Development Director, appeared to present updates for the ROZ (Rural Opportunity Zone) program. She presented a request for an additional applicant and discussed the funds needed to support this additional applicant. Commissioner Bray moved to appropriate the $650 and not expand funding of the program. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner McCloud.
5. County Clerk Alicia Showalter presented a membership request from Main Street Sterling. Commissioner Bray moved to approve the membership of $75.00 for Main Street Sterling. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Oswalt. Alicia requested permission to make contact with USD 405 regarding community service and assistance with cleaning up the courthouse lawn/flower beds. Commissioners gave her permission to pursue the project.
6. Public Health Administrator Marci Detmer appeared to present updates to the Commissioners. She discussed the cost of phone lines. Alicia will research the issue and report back at the next meeting. Marci discussed the timeclock system and how her employees will clock in. Alicia reported that they will be clocking in on their computers and she agreed. Marci discussed a letter from the City of Geneseo regarding a health/safety issue with a local family. Commissioner Oswalt will make contact with the Geneseo mayor regarding the situation and will report back. Marci presented an article for the Commissioners to review. Marci requested an executive session. Commissioner Oswalt moved to enter into executive session from 9:45 to 10:00 for a non-elected personnel matter. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Bray. County Clerk Alicia Showalter was present for the session.
Commissioners returned to open session.
7. Sheriff Cody Goforth and Noxious Weed Director Levi Beaver appeared to request a waiver of the shared leave policy. Commissioners approved the request and authorized the official paperwork be filled out and presented for signature. Cody discussed a bill from Rice County EMS for transport of a prisoner to the local hospital. Commissioners authorized the County Clerk to pay the remaining portion of a current bill to the EMS.
8. Gene Wilson appeared to present some information regarding AT&T services. Alicia will research the AT&T bills and contact him with the information. Commissioner Oswalt moved to authorize the chairman sign the letter of agency to allow Gene Wilson access to the AT&T records for the county and conduct an audit.
9. Joe Hurla with 360 Energy Engineers appeared to present information regarding services offered. Commissioners informed him that at this time they are not making plans to conduct any major projects.
10. Treasurer Clint Bieberle appeared to present updates to the Commissioners. He requested approval of tax abatements in the amount of $6,828.90. Commissioner Oswalt moved to approve the abatements. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Bray. Clint presented a resolution to cancel checks in the amount of $643.93. Commissioner Oswalt moved to adopt Resolution 17-2014 (Cancel Checks that are Outstanding and 2 years old). The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Bray. Clint discussed the use of Postal Presort for the processing/mailing of tax statements. Commissioner Bray moved to approve the Treasurer to use Postal Presort for the mailing of the tax statements not to exceed $8,100. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Oswalt. Clint discussed changing the part time employee to a full time employee. Following the discussion, Commissioners will discuss the issue further and report back at the next meeting.
11. County Clerk Alicia Showalter requested clarification of the road that was discussed last session that will be changed back to gravel from asphalt. The portion of road is 4th Road north of the Reno County line approximately 4 miles and extends for ½ mile.
12. Commissioners agreed to meet Friday, August 29th at 8:00 a.m. to approve month-end vouchers. There will be no meeting next Monday, September 1st due to the Labor Day Holiday.
13. Commissioner Oswalt moved to adjourn. The motion carried unanimously following a second by Commissioner Bray.
August 28, 2014
Commissioner Bray Present
Commissioner Bray reviewed and approved month-end vouchers.
No other business was conducted.